Used expy w/ 157k, crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm new here. Joined to help while searching for an expedition. I found a loaded 2004 eddie bauer model, but it has 157k miles. Would I be crazy to entertain getting this? Is there still a lot of life in this motor? What price would you expect? It seems to have every option.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
go to kbb.com and you can get an idea of what its worth

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The engine in these things are amazing! the Trans... if it hasn't gone, it will soon.

Direct from a Ford tech's mouth, that was the advice given when we were shopping it came down to a 125k Expy, a 140k Expy or a 170k Excursion. He said the 125k Expy would give us the longest life before we had to replace, the 140's saving grace was the 4.6, we might get another 10k before it became a time bomb, and he said the Excursion had past its "use by" date, as far as Trans replacement went.

Sure as shootin' told the wife between 130-140 it would go Tango Uniform, and at 135 started to get funny, by 139 it was borrowed time, and it quit moving under its own power at 140275.

Good chance that has been replaced, and you are fine, but I would check that out first.. Slightly more expensive than an alternator or water pump, if you know what I mean.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Apparently mine was rebuilt by the previous owner at 105k. But it had a slightly harder than normal life with 36" (or larger) tires and 3.73 gears since it left the factory.

zets101

Reaction score
Mine has over 176k on the clock and I'm pretty sure it has the original transmission. I'm not sure how much life is left in my transmission but it is definitely showing signs of wear.

zets101

Reaction score
45-50 mph (torque converter lock-out range) it will give me a little bit of torque converter chatter on rare occasions when I'm lugging it slowly through the gears. It still shifts great through the gears though and it never slips on me.

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
45-50 mph (torque converter lock-out range) it will give me a little bit of torque converter chatter on rare occasions when I'm lugging it slowly through the gears. It still shifts great through the gears though and it never slips on me.

Try putting in a bottle of Lube Guard. It will get rid of that torque converter shudder. I've done it in two different transmissions and it completely removed the shudder. You can tell a difference almost immediately.

uhaul

Reaction score
Lube Guard can cost $16.00 a bottle but it works great, no problems in any of my high mileage Fords. I add it as part of the refill after trans filter change and it makes the rest of old fluid left in trans like new.