Vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98nhexpy

Reaction score
My first thought was a bent wheel. But he OP states he changed out wheels with new tires and it didn't correct the issue. If there was a wheel issue, I would have expected the Tire shop to discover that during the "balancing" process.
Given all the information above, did you have the wheels "run-out" on the vehicle? I would be suspect of a failing wheel bearing/hub. Many times that may also display similar symptoms and you may hear a humming sound coming from the assembly at speed.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is what I thought too, but it just started within the last 3 weeks based off what the wife told me. I have swap back to stock rims 20'' factory from the 24'' rims and it is the same steering wheel vibration. So you think I have bent rims on both factory and aftermarket? I can't see me having bent my 20'' factory wheels. The shaking is the same with the 24'' rims or 20'' rims.
No that's not it for sure and it's obviously nothing to do with the wheels or tires. I'm thinking it might have something to do with something moving the steering shaft but that's just a guess.

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No that's not it for sure and it's obviously nothing to do with the wheels or tires. I'm thinking it might have something to do with something moving the steering shaft but that's just a guess.

I replaced the steering shaft over the weekend and nothing changed.

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first thought was a bent wheel. But he OP states he changed out wheels with new tires and it didn't correct the issue. If there was a wheel issue, I would have expected the Tire shop to discover that during the "balancing" process.
Given all the information above, did you have the wheels "run-out" on the vehicle? I would be suspect of a failing wheel bearing/hub. Many times that may also display similar symptoms and you may hear a humming sound coming from the assembly at speed.

I was think maybe the hub/wheel bearing as well. So I will order new bearing tonight and install them once they come in and see if that will help.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced the steering shaft over the weekend and nothing changed.
Like I said ride in another car and watch. If it is enough to shake the steering wheel and make it move back and fourth, More times than not you will see something to get you a little closer to the problem.

98nhexpy

Reaction score
I might recommend that you hold on throwing more parts at this. I would 1st confirm the run-out of the hub, the rotor, and the wheel. There are several possibilities at play here. Could be a bad hub/bearing; could be debris/corrosion between the face of the hub and rotor; could be debris/corrosion between the face of rotor and the wheel. I am not saying this is the issue, just trying to help rule out prospective culprits.
C.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I might recommend that you hold on throwing more parts at this. I would 1st confirm the run-out of the hub, the rotor, and the wheel. There are several possibilities at play here. Could be a bad hub/bearing; could be debris/corrosion between the face of the hub and rotor; could be debris/corrosion between the face of rotor and the wheel. I am not saying this is the issue, just trying to help rule out prospective culprits.
C.
I agree and debris affecting the rotor is possible too, also he did say he added new rotors. It's quite a mystery and it leans toward one of the changed parts being as bad as the original part at this point.

OP
OP
Lynnii2

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I meant something moving the shaft. If you shook the wheel and it wasn't loose new bearings won't cure anything.

Oh ok. I put my hands at the 12 and 6 position and it is solid and 3 and 9 and solid nothing loose. I also had the dealership check them along with the other suspension parts on the lift and confirmed nothing loose. I have no hub failure symptoms like noise, clunking, grinding. I guess it could be bad since they are the original 10 yr old hubs.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know how old your tires are, sometimes it doesn't matter, but I would rotate tires + check that one of the front tires is not separating or has balance weight off.