***** Want to paint my front grill Black *****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PAPARAZZI

Reaction score
I WANT TO PAINT MY GRILL BLACK,,, But i want to due it right the first time,,,what kind of black paint due i use an the prep work,,, someone told me to sand it down with steal wool ?????? i worried about the chrome strip the outlines the grill, i am afraid the paint will not hold onto that ,,,,

Please Help,,,,

img0953q.jpg

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
In order to paint chrome, you do need to scuff it, but the main thing that makes the paint stick is an adhesion promoter. Any auto paint store has this, and I've heard that duplicolor now has it in spray cans.

You may want to check out their web site

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get some of the duplicolor trim paint they sell at Autozone/Advanced. I like how it lays down, as well as the OEM looking black color it has. Since it's for trim, it already has adhesion promotor for plastic.

Also, it's held on a lot better than the Krylon Fusion I tried before this, which started chipping off from bugs hitting it...

I just sanded it a little with a sanding foam block (what I had laying around.)

Came out like this:
Front-2.jpg

front2.jpg

On my parents' 250 wiper cowl:
DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

For the chrome, not sure how it would hold up. If anything, make sure you really sand the chrome down before spraying it, to try to get the best adhesion possible.

OP
OP
P

PAPARAZZI

Reaction score
FINALLY DID IT >>>> YOU GUYS BE THE JUDGE

THIS IS WHAT I USED,,,,
rios1107.jpg

rios1112.jpg

rios1118.jpg

img0953q.jpg

rios1121.jpg

IT COST ME $20 FOR EVERYTHING AN ABOUT 1 HR TOPS FROM START TO FINISH,,, I TAPED EVERYTHING AN SPRAYED IT ON WITHOUT REMOVING THE GRILL

Last edited: