Water Coming from Behind the Door Panel and onto the Sill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this several times in the last month when we have heavy rains. I've noticed a couple of drops on the sill after a heavy rain. This is after the truck has dried and the door hasn't been opened. I park the truck an a driveway with the front end pointing down the incline.

The first time I noticed it was back in August when we were at my in-laws house and we had heavy prolonged rains over night. That time I actually noticed water under the sill and I soaked it up with a paper towel. The second time that I noticed it was earlier this week.

I looked a the bottom of the door but I didn't see any drain holes although I know they have to be there.

Has anybody noticed anything like this on your Expeditions. I am concerned because the water is coming from behind the speaker location in the door panel and I don't want it to ruin the speaker.

IMG_5833.JPG IMG_5836.JPG

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is a drip that comes from the seal at the top of the door when you open it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine always has moisture after a rain when you open the door but not inside like that just on the steel part outside of the plastic sill. Most vehicles do that I think, weather stripping isn't that tight.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont think its supposed to drain into the cab and the sill plate is IN THE CAB.
are you sure the corners or the door are not open? mine has a small opening at the rear of the bottom of the door, its about 1/8 inch to 1/4

try parking nose up and see if it stops.
I for one would not accept any leaks inside the cab.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is a drip that comes from the seal at the top of the door when you open it.
This was a full day after it had rained and there was no water on the top seal or the top of the door. The seam along the bottom of door panel was wet when I touched it with my finger.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think its supposed to drain into the cab and the sill plate is IN THE CAB.
are you sure the corners or the door are not open? mine has a small opening at the rear of the bottom of the door, its about 1/8 inch to 1/4

try parking nose up and see if it stops.
I for one would not accept any leaks inside the cab.
I'm taking it in on Thursday, I'll let them look at it and figure it out.

I won't accept water in the cab either there are too many wires that run under that sill and that is the best place for water to lay. I suspect that when they applied the Ziebart rust proofing package, they may have blocked the forward drain hole, but I am not sure because I do see some water draining from the bottom of the front of the door.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy, if you think the rainwater has come from the interior of the door to drain out below, it must have come from the base exterior felted rubber seal against the window. The seal looks like a weak link by design since it must slide against your window when you roll it down as well as keep water out. Glad you are taking it in since water adjacent to your speaker is not good!

Good luck!

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, if you think the rainwater has come from the interior of the door to drain out below, it must have come from the base exterior felted rubber seal against the window. The seal looks like a weak link by design since it must slide against your window when you roll it down as well as keep water out. Glad you are taking it in since water adjacent to your speaker is not good!

Good luck!
I suspect that that there is a blocked drain that is allowing the water to fill the bottom of the door until it gets even with the opening in the interior side sheet metal then it drips between the interior door panel and the door. either that or the plastic draft guard that is usually on the interior side of the door has a hole that allows water to get behind the door panel and drip onto the sill.

Part of it is probably because the of it facing downhill and having a partially blocked front drain whereas if it was flat it could drain out the back opening.

These are just guesses until they try to figure out the leak.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Luckily, it rained last night and just shot this video. On the bottom of the door, there is a metal tab that appears to be a re-enforcing feature for the door edge. Its not completely flattened and forms a channel on the bottom and collects water.

Erh.....is there a way to post a video?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily, it rained last night and just shot this video. On the bottom of the door, there is a metal tab that appears to be a re-enforcing feature for the door edge. Its not completely flattened and forms a channel on the bottom and collects water.

Erh.....is there a way to post a video?
If you have a YouTube account you can post it there and then use the media button (beside the "+" in the button bar) to link it here.