Water sloshing inside door!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Hi all, so it's been raining a lot and for a few days I've noticed the sound of water sloshing when I drive--i thought it was the antifreeze bottle I keep in the back until I opened the back side-door, drivers side. The water is inside the door... So I pull on the trim piece at bottom of door and water starts draining out... a lot of water. So anyone seen this before and can tell me what's happening? Thanks.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seal around the windows must be bad. Dumb question but is the window rolled up tight? Their should be a small drain hole in the bottom of door, if not drill a small hole at bottom of door, for water removal. If their is an existing hole, get a pick, or something small in their, and make sure it's clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Thanks Moose. Yep windows have been up good and tight. I found a small rectangular plastic tab at bottom of door which, when I removed, water was able to drain out. There was quite a bit of buildup of debris clogging hole, although I'm not sure it is able to drain at all with the plastic tab in anyways..Well see, Hopefully now it will drain proper. Should I be worried about any water damage to electrical wiring or anything like that?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would, water and electrics never mix. You've got a power window motor, speaker, and all kinds of wiring in there. Drain all the water out of the door, and fix the leak now, or it will cost more down the road. If you have a drill and small drill bits, I'd drill a real small hole, if theirs not already one there. Most older vehicles already have one from manufacturer. They also have removable rubber plugs under floors, to drain water, in the event of flooding inside vehicle. You might want to remove door panel, and lightly spray door, to find leak. Keep us posted.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going through the same crap with a vw tdi project I'm working on. First the sunroof drain lines were out of the door jam nipples - fixed that. After a good rain the carpet is wet again, WTH. Checked passenger door and it is filling up as yours is. All 3 drain holes are open but the amount of crap that is in the door they just keep clogging up. Only remedy is to clean the crap out by taking the door panel off and wiping it clean.

OP
OP
G

Greg Lee

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip stamp--i'll find some time to do that this weekend. Let ya'll know if i find anything of note.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Must be something going around. My roof is still leaking from the overhead console. I've sealed inside and out, but we got a whopper of a storm in the Bay Area today. I'll have to pull the overhead console tomorrow when the storm passes. It really kills me that Ford put dimples in the roof. It allows water to gather, and rot. Well could be worse, could have a sunroof or convertible. Those leaks are real hard to stop.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moose I fixed the exact same problem in this expedition. If you want to permanently fix it I can tell you how I did mine. I still need to do the final body work to make it pretty but what I did is a great fix, no welding. Used a flanging kit, body adhesive and rivets. I probably should have documented it. Before the fix I was filling both cup holders and the tray over night.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW guys, my '03 EB sunroof leaked and I was told that there were two front and two rear drains. I only found the front and I squirted some WD-40 into the drain holes then a SMALL amount of compressed air followed by very hot water using a turkey baster. I managed to get the front drains clear but be very careful not to blow the hoses off the nipples or you will have to remove the headliner. I used my car truck compressor and "regulated" how much air was forced in by setting it to 4-5PSI and left some leak-space when pointing it to the drain hole, just enough to get the wd-40& water to begin flowing out. You will see the water on the ground but it comes out between frame members so you can't see the actual outlet.

What I don't get is why my '99 never leaked anywhere in 228K miles it never leaked but my '03 leaked like a sieve from everywhere. The sunroof, the windshield....it was literally raining INSIDE my truck one bad storm. That thing leaked somewhere at the firewall too soaking the front carpet all the way at the top! I was worried that something was going to short out and I was going to get zapped!

I had to drill holes under the rocker panels to give the water a way to drain, otherwise all those wires would have remained under water! I found THAT after I bought the truck! Both rocker panels were full of water with no telling how long they had been full of water!

What did they change between the two Gens that made it so leaky?

jeff

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a problem with my Mazda 6s drains plugging and leaking. What I found to be the best method for clearing it was to get the drain that came through the firewall and attach my vacuum pump with the brake fluid resivior. I was able to apply vacuum and draw the crap through. Adding warm water.