Weigh Scales

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBArthur82

Reaction score
I’d like to take my Expedition to get weighed on the scales so I can know my axle payload capacities, but I’m not sure where to go for this. I have a DOT weigh station just a couple miles south of me on the interstate. Can I go there? Or are there other places to go, like a truck stop gas station or something? Where do you usually go for this and is there usually a cost associated?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d like to take my Expedition to get weighed on the scales so I can know my axle payload capacities, but I’m not sure where to go for this. I have a DOT weigh station just a couple miles south of me on the interstate. Can I go there? Or are there other places to go, like a truck stop gas station or something? Where do you usually go for this and is there usually a cost associated?
Love's truck stops usually have a scale. One at I-95 south in Ormond beach.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually you'll see a big, yellow CAT sign at the commercial truck scales. CAT has a website with locations as well. You may be able to call the local place and ask as well. My recollection is that the CAT cost is $12. Well worth it.

OP
OP
RBArthur82

RBArthur82

Reaction score
Love's truck stops usually have a scale. One at I-95 south in Ormond beach.

Usually you'll see a big, yellow CAT sign at the commercial truck scales. CAT has a website with locations as well. You may be able to call the local place and ask as well. My recollection is that the CAT cost is $12. Well worth it.
Thank you both.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They do, but I don't think they do each axle. At least, the one near me didn't.
In which case you stop with just the front axle on the scale and weight it. Then drive all the way on and weigh it again. (The calculation of the rear axle weight is left as an exercise for the reader).

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a DOT weigh station just a couple miles south of me on the interstate. Can I go there?
Depends on the state. WA and OR both encourage the general public to use the CAT scales at the weigh stations, but only allow their use when the weigh station is closed. Some states will not allow the general public to use their weigh stations at all.)

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In FL I've weighed a class A on a DOT scale on RT 1 just south of I 95 in
St Augustine.

MrTommy

Reaction score
A lot of times the freeway scales will be closed but the scale read-out still works. I've used those scales several times. One time while hauling our travel trailer in the middle of nowhere in OR we came upon a truck scale that was closed but the read-out was working. I weighed all wheels separately, and even unhooked the trailer and weighed the tongue. It took about a half-hour but was time well spent. The only time I ever was able to do that. It's too complicated for most Cat Scale folks to understand what you want to do. And then you have to worry about being in the way of a trucker who NEEDS to weigh so he/she can get moving.