Weird issue, not sure if trans or engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCP2018

Reaction score
Usually there is no issue with the way it runs. However, it will occasionally not want to shift when you floor it (hesitates a second or three) then it seems to shift a little harsher than normal. This happens when hot or cold. It also seems to get confused about which gear to go into. Once in a blue moon it will also surge when cold once you put it in gear and accelerate (part throttle) Again, it's rare but does happen. Otherwise, it shifts smooth and everything functions as advertised. Temps stay between 195 and 200. I'm thinking it's either an update or needs a service (car was a rental prior).

Now has about 55,000 miles.

Reaction score
If yours is an Ecoboost it could be the timing. This is my second ecoboost and they are notorious for hesitating when you give it the beans and then taking off. I think its due to the fact that it is always adjusting its timing. The same thing happens on mine and on the ecoboost Ford Transit that I had before this one. Also, when you are cruising and give it some gas (especially when towing) it may knock 2 or 3 times and hesitate and then go. The owners manual says this is normal.

If your expedition is equipped with this, I have gotten around this by driving in tow/haul mode all the time, but I don't mind, I like the way it drives that way better.

Of course...I could also be wrong.

OP
OP
J

JCP2018

Reaction score
It's a 17.

That sucks. Ford, for all of their engineering firsts, can't seem to overcome technology shortcomings (stalling, hesitation, fires, etc); the growing pains of the 1970's are over, and all I ask for is a reliable vehicle that doesn't hesitate, stumble or shift erratically, especially one that is used for family hauling duty.

I usually keep it in T/H for that reason; it seems to shift much firmer, and I have to use less brake when stopping (letting the trans do the heavy lifting).

Someone on here posted that maybe changing plugs and coils would also help, but don't have the extra $400 right now.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Oh, the quest for new technology.... always striving for innovation.
An old guy like me remembers folks cursing electronic ignition. "Rip it our and put in a distributor with points," we used to say. The same with EGR valves and pollution controls.

You want a turbo charged motor? Well it'll take a bit of years before they get it right.

If you're an old school guy, a fleet manager or a do-it-yourself guy who just wants a tool to get you around, Ford makes F150's for you. F150's with V-8's with more conservative and better proven technology. Or buy a car with 10 years' of proven technology...

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You state it only happens on occasion when you floor it I am guessing it is due to the adaptive shifting nonsense.
Try having the memory reset and see if it learns your patterns better. Though since gassing it is occasional I am guessing the results will be the same.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the old saying theirs no replacement for cubic inches. Anytime you start adding turbos, superchargers or nitrous, your going to wear out the motor quicker, and have parts fail. It's just the way it is. It's like electronics, the more bells and whistles, the more likely your Stereo or gizmo will fail premature. Can you imagine how long the pistons, rings bearings of the early 1940's- 70's cars/ trucks would've lasted if we had the technology/ metallurgy, and synthetic oils way back then. The engines and tranny's were so simple. It will be interesting to see if the 3.5 turbos can go 300-500 thousand miles like a 5.4. Probably not.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the old saying theirs no replacement for cubic inches. Anytime you start adding turbos, superchargers or nitrous, your going to wear out the motor quicker, and have parts fail. It's just the way it is. It's like electronics, the more bells and whistles, the more likely your Stereo or gizmo will fail premature. Can you imagine how long the pistons, rings bearings of the early 1940's- 70's cars/ trucks would've lasted if we had the technology/ metallurgy, and synthetic oils way back then. The engines and tranny's were so simple. It will be interesting to see if the 3.5 turbos can go 300-500 thousand miles like a 5.4. Probably not.

You do realize that Turbo motors are some of the longest lasting motors out there correct?
Granted they are diesel motors but any motor desgined for a turbo will last just as long as it’s n/a counterparts with proper maintenance.
Pretty sure there are a large number of 200k plus Ecoboost F150s out there.

The issue is adding turbos to motors that weren’t initially designed for them.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With Diesel engines your talking a whole different animal. And sadly with the emmisions on newer diesels most don't last as long these days. I guess it's like the 5.4 clean oil, clean living, and don't dog it. Like my older brother used to say, I'm driving it to last. Driving it like you stole it sure ain't the way

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These new diesels aren’t all that great. Right now in the trucks the only thing that REALLY lasts are the big cube V8 motors. The diesels are great if you delete all the emissions crap. The new 3.0 PowerStroke is a piece of garbage, it has a timing belt....nough said.