Weird problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nope, turn the key nothing happens. doesnt even try to engage starter. headlights dont dim either

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went thru this this morning. Finally got to where it would not turn over the starter.
My problem ended up being bad connection at ring terminal on starter relay (center post on starter).
I used my crimping tool & tightened the crimp on the ring terminal then remounted on terminal + added an external Star washer & tightened the nut.
Started right up & has been starting all day.

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks riphip ill check that after work. the fact that my OBDII reader cant conect to the truck has me worried.

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didnt try to back probe the starter solenoid tonight, but i did make sure the starter relay was clicking. i could feel it when my daughter turned the key.
I think the PCM is ok because the message center is normal no dashes or weird displays,just low oil pressure warning after trying (no crank just turning the key)to start. the keyless entry works,both the keyfob and door code works. tried putting it in neutral to start, acts exactly the same ,i guess im down to the starter/starter solenoid. could it be anything else?

pistachiojoe

Reaction score
Make sure your battery connections are clean and very tight. I had a loose positive connection. It would start sometimes and then act like it was stone dead.

I cut the old clamp off with a dremel keeping all the wire connections intact. Bought a $4 marine style clamp and no more problems.

Last edited:

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. I used my DMM & started checking from the starter back thru the wiring & found no continuity from ring clip to start wire. Pulled ring terminal & wire, recrimped, scraped ring clip on both sides, remounted & it cranked/started 6 times. Uninstalled stud nut and installed star washer between nut & ring terminal, reinstalled nut & tightened. Has been starting right since.