Weird problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you get the fuse box? How do you know it is the correct one?

If you still have your old box I can step you through the process of circuit tracing.

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford 3L1Z-14A068-AA - BOX ASY - FUSE from Sunrise Ford there are different ones? i didnt know that i just followed a link from an earlier post in this thread.. yes i have the old box still

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ray the problem you are having is that the relay isn't getting the signal to energize the circuit for the "control side" of the relay. I would install the old box for the following voltage tests.
Make sure you have a good ground for the tests or the results will be "bad".

Looking at the starting circuit diagram, connector C270H, red/ Lt blue wire #11 - check for power when the ignition switch is turned to "start".

I use a sewing needle with the plastic ball on the end that I insert into the connector from the back. They usually make contact with the pin / blade and allow you to probe with the meter without damaging the wire insulation.

All connectors need to be plugged into the sjb in order to power the circuits.

If you have power there, check for power on pin 3 of C270A, tan/red with the ignition turned to "start" like above.

If you have power at this point check pin 1 of C270A, Dk Blue / Orange wire, again in "start".

Power at all three places means PCM is not providing a ground. Check ground points in the engine bay and the kick panels in the cabin.

Losing power at any point means that the failure is before where you measured.

In a sense this is just like the old style of Christmas lights that were wired in series. One goes out and the entire string is dead. When you're testing there will be power at some point down the line, hit the bad one and there isn't power from that point on. Same thing with the starting circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i jumped fuel pump relay "If you look on the 2nd video around the 4:55 mark you will see him pointing to a connector that is C270k Look to the left of his finger and you will see a larger 12 pin connector That is C270a. (print attached) there is a solid red wire in pin 10 and if you were to place a jumper from the red wire to the wire he points out then you don't need to get power from the battery and also that red wire only has power when the key is in start or run"
from another post on forum should i undo/ cut the wire before doing the back tracing?

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry, i had jumped the fuel pump relay about a month ago to buy me time to replace the fusebox. it had the stall on occasion then stall all the time problem. jumped it ran great didnt stall until this problem started, fuel pump is new. my old Fusebox is the original.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, still have the no crank issue then. Just do what is listed in reply #33 and you should determine the general area the problem is in.

OP
OP
R

ray young

Full Access Members
Reaction score
only had a few minutes with my daughter to help me. how do i tell what connector is C270a and C270h i have been looking for a diagram and cant find one

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Connector color is next to the connector number on each diagram.

Attachments

• C270h.pdf
    105.8 KB · Views: 10
  • C270a.pdf
    100.7 KB · Views: 7