What’s my Expedition, with a new engine worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
It would matter to me, I would pay more if the engine had been replaced. As clean as that is I would shoot for a couple grand over kbb and see what happens. Lol at does the price jump down from 14 to 15, the ecoboost is superior in every way to the problematic cam phaser issues with the 3v 5.4.

Here we go again w the ecoboom is better than 5.4.
That 3.5 has cam phaser and oil pump issues as well. And when a turbo goe$ your **** outta luck in the dinero department.

bws2015

Reaction score
Well I've owned plenty of both, and I like the ecoboost better, JMO. Would never own another anemic 5.4. Currently have a 5.0 F150 and the ecoboost expedition in the garage, I'm happy. There is a reason they no longer make the 5.4=JUNK. Hell I have even owned my fair share of lightning pickups with the 2v 5.4, loved the trucks, but it was a supercharger strapped to a pos engine. Anyway, you keep telling yourself how wonderful your 5.4 is and I will continue to enjoy 420 lb ft of torque at 2500 rpm. I'm on my third ecoboost 3.5 powered vehicle, never a single problem with the turbos or engines.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd agree with most here, it's worth what it books for with perhaps a slight premium for the motor. In shopping for one if I came across this I wouldn't personally see the motor as a value/cost add directly but more of an indication you probably take care of issues being you put such a significant investment in it. As mentioned, a vehicle is expected to have a running motor. If it were inoperable I wouldn't touch it for anything over 3k knowing how pricey these are to replace.

The 219k miles is the issue here. Everything else could fail at that kind of mileage and I wouldn't be inclined to pay thousands and thousands of dollars more just for a low mileage motor. If the maintenance was there to compensate for the miles and overall condition was as good as it gets, maybe 10% more if it met my other buying criteria? That's me though...it depends specifically on who's looking to buy.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most people get reluctant with that many miles, most here know how long these vehicles last. Price it a bit above what you need to get and see what happens. Not getting into the eco/5.4 challenge, have two 5.4 trucks and stay with short oil change schedule like was recommended here when I joined.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put an engine in mine because I had a ton into building custom storage containers into the truck, radios and antenna installations, lighting, and generally working on stuff that I didn't want to do in another vehicle. And being old anyway I'm not worried about a little body damage that might happen when doing off-road stuff. I could have bought a minivan for the same price as the engine replacement, but I like the Expedition. It was an emotional choice to repair, not a financial one.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've owned plenty of both, and I like the ecoboost better, JMO. Would never own another anemic 5.4. Currently have a 5.0 F150 and the ecoboost expedition in the garage, I'm happy. There is a reason they no longer make the 5.4=JUNK. Hell I have even owned my fair share of lightning pickups with the 2v 5.4, loved the trucks, but it was a supercharger strapped to a pos engine. Anyway, you keep telling yourself how wonderful your 5.4 is and I will continue to enjoy 420 lb ft of torque at 2500 rpm. I'm on my third ecoboost 3.5 powered vehicle, never a single problem with the turbos or engines.

Neither have a good reputation for a solid timing set. The older EcoBoosts are pretty darn good….but the 17 and newer are pretty much the 5.4 2.0 when it comes to phasers.

Last edited: