What’s you’re avg. mpg in your expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine currently reads 15.9 mpg with a mix of highway and local driving (more highway since I reset it). If I reset it and just drive around locally it usually sits in the low 14s. With family in the car, I drive like grandpa. Alone, I drive it like I stole it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2000 XLT 4x4 5.4 245k Poorly maintained, mobil 1 5w-30 about maybe every 10-12k, had it since 2011.
Air filter might have been changed once, plugs were recently done near 193k when we got it so same ones.
2 coils replaced with used as they started to misfire.
MAF never cleaned since we've had it, alternator replaced when it failed and one side upper control arm cause I didn't want ball joint to pop out and damage car/tire etc.
Nothing else done since nothing else failed yet...yep one of those.
Hey it was a super clean body and paint 2000.00 daily driver for wife.
Pulled the awd fuse so transfer case is disengaged and it makes it smoother and less drag and no feeling of release engage up slight hills...but it's clunkier than most..probably.
Did notice slight increase in MPG when I pulled fuse.

11-12.5 around town, 15-16.8 highway.

It gets better than my pristine 03 Navigator with 32V 5.4 and 118 on it, that just had throttle body cleaned, MAF cleaned, new air filter, new plugs and coils.

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19 on the interstate and I’ve never checked in town. I’m running stock tire size and no engine modifications.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19 on the interstate and I’ve never checked in town. I’m running stock tire size and no engine modifications.

There is NO WAY you get 19. Is that by the gauge in your SUV or are you calculating it? I had a 97 5.4 stock 4x4 and the best it ever got was 13.87 MPG on a long trip, and I kept the speed at 72 or below(when most states Ahmad speed limits at 65), my 2003 5.4 4x4 has got a best of 15.7 one time on another long trip keeping it below 75.

Can't imagine one of these EVER getting better than 16.5 to 17, well not until maybe a 2006 with the 5.4 3 valve...

mbed

Reaction score
There is NO WAY you get 19. Is that by the gauge in your SUV or are you calculating it? I had a 97 5.4 stock 4x4 and the best it ever got was 13.87 MPG on a long trip, and I kept the speed at 72 or below(when most states Ahmad speed limits at 65), my 2003 5.4 4x4 has got a best of 15.7 one time on another long trip keeping it below 75.

Can't imagine one of these EVER getting better than 16.5 to 17, well not until maybe a 2006 with the 5.4 3 valve...

Just did a round trip to just south of Atlanta from just north of Philly. About 875mi each way. Interestingly got 16.5 mpg on way down and on return, eventually rising to 18.0mpg at end of trip and it is sorta uphill going back and had five people and suitcases galore. zeroed out mpg and odometer at departure, each way. drove about 60-75 for most of it. Raining and humid on return, maybe more dense air led to better combustion?

Had about 120k on it at start. Just recently did plugs and coils (only lost one plug in pieces, of course under firewall on driverside). also changed valve cover gaskets while doing cam phaser solenoids and did beilsteins and upper control arms on front in addition to new brakes. been using a k&n cold intake since very early. original owner, 2008 EL Limited, 5.4 3v triton, early build on engine for 2008.

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It’s very possible.I had Michelin LTX tires at the time and you can really feel the rolling resistance difference now that I have A/T tires on it.Cruise control is very vital.I checked it the old fashion way.Divide the gallons into the miles.I drove from Post Falls Idaho to Seattle on interstate 90.Im headed to Montana Saturday.I’ll check it with The A/T tires and two mountain passes.I cruise between 65-70.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can get better than the cruise can every time.
It gives too much gas to get back up to speed and maintains on hills.
I am "Old guy in a Lincoln" and putt around.
I let it slow down uphill maybe by a lot and let it speed up all the way downhill. With a manual I will push clutch downhill as I'm not driving a semi. I did used to drive a 40ft MCI diesel pusher though with a spicer 4 speed manual.
I like cars that let the converter slip or disengage more down hill with foot off.
On the performance cars we had ways to lock up converter manually for bettter acceleration I wish we had a button to freewheel it completely when off of gas pedal. Some are much better than others but when I let off the gas at 65+ and the rpms stay a 1500-1900 or even 1400 it irks me. If I were in neutral it would be 1000 or under.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well keeping it below 70 MPH will definitely help, I forget what the efficiency factor is for every 5 MPH? Its alot more than you would think. I always run LT rated tires, on both my current and on my past Expedition. I don't however drive under 70 MPH on the interstate when the speed limit is 70, unless towing our Travel Trailer, then I tow between 55 and 60, then mileage REALLY sucks! Also, I do know that a more humid air, like you are talking about does make more HP, which translates to less throttle pedal and less fuel consumption since everything is converted to BTU's... Which is the deciding factor to all of it.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did a round trip to just south of Atlanta from just north of Philly. About 875mi each way. Interestingly got 16.5 mpg on way down and on return, eventually rising to 18.0mpg at end of trip and it is sorta uphill going back and had five people and suitcases galore. zeroed out mpg and odometer at departure, each way. drove about 60-75 for most of it. Raining and humid on return, maybe more dense air led to better combustion?

Had about 120k on it at start. Just recently did plugs and coils (only lost one plug in pieces, of course under firewall on driverside). also changed valve cover gaskets while doing cam phaser solenoids and did beilsteins and upper control arms on front in addition to new brakes. been using a k&n cold intake since very early. original owner, 2008 EL Limited, 5.4 3v triton, early build on engine for 2008.

I also said that with the newer 3 valve engines they are more efficient vs the 2004 or older 2 valve

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
There is no way a 1st gen gets 19 mpg. The sticker stated 14 city 16 hwy and that’s under perfect conditions going downhill both ways on empty gas tank w a 90 lb horse jockey at the wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69