What are the symptoms of blown shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Since it seems like Ford sourced their shocks from the dollar store, I assume my shocks will blow out any day now. What symptoms should I look for to tell me a shock is out?

Thanks!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First sign will be a little puddle on the floor near the tires. If you look towards the top of the shock early on you can see the oil start working its way down the shock body. Eventually it gets bad enough to leave a little puddle on the floor.

shingles

Reaction score
As others have said, you can see oil on the body of the strut body or on the ground. For me what I noticed first was clunking in the front suspension when I would slowly go over very large speed bumps. You can crack the steering wheel all the way to either direction and check the struts.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they are not oily wet leaking and it doesn't bounce up and down 4+ times when you give it a good up down up down push....they are fine.

People replacing shocks at certain miles or years....etc Geeesh!

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine blew out on the highway. Everytime I hot a bump with the right rear it would for e the steering wheel to the left hard. It was super dangerous. So, first sign for me was the sub trying to kill me

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deep bounce and squeaky noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
park level. get on a fender and get it bouncing up and down. let go. if it doesn't stop bouncing in one or two bounces, they're bad.