Are these symptoms of the CDF drum isue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Here are the symptoms I have on my 2020 Ford Expy Max:

- Slams into D or R
- sometimes- 4->5 is rough
- 7->8: used to be rough. No longer rough once I cleared the learning tables
- Scariest symptom: Happened only once. I was accelerating on the highway, and heard a loud thud with the back of the car jumping a bit -> kinda like someone shot me with a bunch of shot guns. A bunch of service warnings popped up for a few seconds and went away. Never happened again.

Are these examples of the CDF drum issue? Are these serious enough to ruin the transmission? I am fine with how it drives currently (occasional rough shifting from 4->5 especially on lower speed stop-go traffic). As for my use-case, I tow a small popup (~3500 pounds) a few times a year.

I bought car from rental fleet about 1.5 years ago and has 75000 miles- and have extended warranty for another year. But there is a 1000$ deductible. So want to see if there is something to worry about before I go to the dealer.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have the 3 to 5 or 4 to 5 "harsh shift" I always can "feel" when it shifts up into 5th

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have the 3 to 5 or 4 to 5 "harsh shift" I always can "feel" when it shifts up into 5th
Yes, this is bad programming in my opinion. Why is shifting to 5th at 25 mph. If you give it enough throttle the shift will be later and much smoother.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the symptoms I have on my 2020 Ford Expy Max:

- Slams into D or R
- sometimes- 4->5 is rough
- 7->8: used to be rough. No longer rough once I cleared the learning tables
- Scariest symptom: Happened only once. I was accelerating on the highway, and heard a loud thud with the back of the car jumping a bit -> kinda like someone shot me with a bunch of shot guns. A bunch of service warnings popped up for a few seconds and went away. Never happened again.

Are these examples of the CDF drum issue? Are these serious enough to ruin the transmission? I am fine with how it drives currently (occasional rough shifting from 4->5 especially on lower speed stop-go traffic). As for my use-case, I tow a small popup (~3500 pounds) a few times a year.

I bought car from rental fleet about 1.5 years ago and has 75000 miles- and have extended warranty for another year. But there is a 1000$ deductible. So want to see if there is something to worry about before I go to the dealer.
I think this event could be the valve body issue mentioned in the same TSB.

If the drum fails, it will let you know. This is physical damage that will manifest itself all the time.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Yes, this is bad programming in my opinion. Why is shifting to 5th at 25 mph. If you give it enough throttle the shift will be later and much smoother.
I agree. Whenever I accelerate quite a bit, I don’t feel it as much. I definitely feel it when I don’t have enough speed and it shifts up.

Are there good tunes to fix the programming ?

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
I think this event could be the valve body issue mentioned in the same TSB.

If the drum fails, it will let you know. This is physical damage that will manifest itself all the time.
Ah interesting. I missed the valve body part. Let me take a look.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine shifts 3-4 and 5-6 hard when cold, only. With all the issues in getting repairs made, I’ve declined having anything done.

OP
OP
T

theblackpearl

Reaction score
Mine shifts 3-4 and 5-6 hard when cold, only. With all the issues in getting repairs made, I’ve declined having anything done.
Yeah unless this issue causes permanent damage to the transmission I am fine with it.

As long as it runs for another 70k lol

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CDF drum failure seems to start with the symptoms of shuddering in gears 3-4-5-6 which all are housed in the CDF drum section of the trans. The shudders are usually noticeable under part throttle moderate load at low speed scenarios, think driving up a twisty mountain road at low speeds... The failure seems to progress to a neutral out condition where when the vehicle tries to shift down to make a pass, it hangs and won't select a lower gear.

Mine was replaced due to the shuddering that was not fixed by multiple reprograms. Techs had to open it up to find that it had failed. Prior to my insistence that it was not okay they dismissed it as normal. Trans tech finally took it out and simulated my driving style/route and got it to shudder and then they pulled it to inspect.

I also encountered a 3-4-5 gear hang when cold where it took a second or two for it too go into a higher gear, but only when cold.

Transmission was replaced early 2023 and I quickly got it custom tuned as the stock programming wasn't feeling good on the new trans. With the tune I'm pretty happy, it behaves an order of magnitude better than it had with fords stock programming.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the shudder. To more easily reproduce, I’d lock out the top gears. Dealer just did valve body.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire