What can I do to my 07 SSV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiverpoolFC

Reaction score
I picked up an 07 Expedition SSV at the government auction and I have been stripping off the remainder of the police wiring and equipment. Lots of wires, fuse panels, and even two VHF radio receivers. This will be a project until I can bring it up to somewhat consumer grade, or as close to it as possible.

This truck has 48k miles on it so practically still a baby.

Will update this thread as things happen and post pictures of what I'm doing.

For now, this is what I want to do to it. Would love some feedback as to what can/cannot be done.

1. Head unit swap with Android w/backup camera and possibly proximity sensors.

2. Add 3rd row of seats.

3. Middle row has 2 side seats which I suspect are missing their middle brother since they don't have armrests. Wanting to add a middle floor console and possibly armrests if the console isn't high enough.

4. Strip the vinyl flooring and add carpeting.

5. Add heated element to driver/passenger seats with buttons in center console below the radio.

6. Add center floor console with heater/AC controls for 2nd row. Would of course remove the shifter.

7. Add overhead light console with sunglasses holders.

8. Paint doors to black.

9. Cover the holes in roof.

Following are the pictures I took yesterday as I was working on it.

Stickers removed with heat gun and patience.

20171029_104055_resized.jpg

Pulled both side panels to discover of wiring and equipment.

20171029_104134_resized.jpg

But before...had to pull this out of the back. It's huge heavy and I'm sure I will find a use for it somewhere in the garage.

20171029_104144_resized.jpg

Wires I pulled out of the truck.
20171029_151420_resized.jpg

And of course, your friendly box of 10 minute flares. WHOHOO!

20171029_104207_resized.jpg

Michael McC

Reaction score
I used to take the middle seat out of my 2003 for long trips and replace it with an ice chest. 6 or 8 bolts. Still room for family of six with some space between kids. You can probably find a middle seat at a junkyard if you want.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool flares, wish mine came with that.

Middle midrow seat will fit, however find it more convenient without one installed. Ditto on the armrest console, kinda nice to have a walkway all the way front to back.

Strange yours doesnt have a sunglass holder or lights, my SSV came with a standard headliner which had those...does yours have vents for rear A/C at least?

Mine was OK but I hated the grey color and replaced it with a camel EB liner from a junkyard for ~$100... vents lined up and worked, wiring plugged right in. Btw mine is an '09 the donor was '07 and that wasnt a problem.

With doors the way they are, probably easiest to vinyl wrap them. Use the real 3M stuff, the ViVVid crap on Amazon is more like contact paper and doesn't stretch or conform just cracks and creases.

The steelie wheels look a lot better with center caps off and some bedliner sprayed on.

3rd row bolts right up, make sure to grab seatbelts too and the rear pillar covers with holes unless you wanna take a reamer to yours. Untapped holes should all be there & bolts are all self-tapping. Ive heard power can be hooked up too but I never bothered on mine

Running boards are a popular mod on SSVs, bought some but never got around to putting them on yet

Headlights could seriously benefit from an upgrade. Anzos Spyders etc have projectors and can be retrofitted with HID. With stock lighting, LEDs ***look*** good... but don't have any throw to speak of so you can't see jack shit.

Front seats can be swapped over to leather, beware you'll probably need to hotwire the connectors to get any of the controls working though

Vinyl floor is something of a keeper imho, after a few spills I've grown to love it

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That box is for weapons storage. There are people that will pay big bucks for them. Depending on the size they can be quite expensive when new.

If it's something like this one, some dude on the internet (authoritative source innit?) claims they retail at.... $2k.

Screenshot_2017-10-31-01-33-27.png

Did it come with keys?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's something like this one, some dude on the internet (authoritative source innit?) claims they retail at.... $2k.
If you go to www.truckvault.com the double layer version that LiverpoolFC has is worth about $3000.00 You probably get a discount from the site but they show it as value.

I configured one for a standard 17
CN3D_800.png

Your Vehicle
2017 Ford Expedition
3rd Row Seat Folded, Rear Air Conditioning
C-FDEXPN3-17D
(C-FDEXPN3-03D, $3095, 306.11lb, 45L)

Product Selection & Options
Mid Length Special Ops Command Center
Black Exterior Carpet
Gray Interior Carpet
Black Composite Drawer Fronts
Push Button w/key Drawer Locks
2 Long, 2 Short Std Height Dividers
Product Value3095.00

Product Additions
Total Value:3095.00

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They retail for a ton! I do search and rescue, we work closely with the sheriff's department and they have their trucks crammed full. I was looking for one of these when I bought mine, but I'd hate to take it out every time I wanted to carry people in the third row. I ended up with a 55 gallon tote from Home Depot to carry my SAR stuff. If you want to ship the radios I'll certainly take them off your hands! Heck, I'd take the pushbumper for the cost of shipping, too.

OP
OP
L

LiverpoolFC

Reaction score
Sadly. no keys... I looked around the truck as I was cleaning and found 1 key which appears to be for some other car, but nothing small enough to fit the lock.

Mine isn't the double layer. More like the one Adieu posted, minus the combination lock. Mine has lockable twist handles. Like a filing cabinet type of a lock. But not strong enough... as I was pulling it out, I pulled on the handles and the drawers opened, despite me having "closed" them. The latch is aluminium, quite soft. But, this is fantastic info! Even if I can get rid of it for 500 USD, i'm happy. It'll help finance the rest of the stuff I want to do to the car.

I am pricing out head units now, and I was looking for a controller similar to the BMW idrive rotating knob. You'd think there would be aftermarket units out there, especially with the whole line of Android head units available, but nothing that is made specifically for cars.

A former coworker vinyl wrapped his Mercedes in a matte black finish, it looked like a different car and quite nice as well, He paid about 3K for the wrap. I don't want to spend nowhere near that much. Trying to keep the whole fixing budget at the 1-1.5k range.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They retail for a ton! I do search and rescue, we work closely with the sheriff's department and they have their trucks crammed full. I was looking for one of these when I bought mine, but I'd hate to take it out every time I wanted to carry people in the third row. I ended up with a 55 gallon tote from Home Depot to carry my SAR stuff. If you want to ship the radios I'll certainly take them off your hands! Heck, I'd take the pushbumper for the cost of shipping, too.

Who wouldnt "take" a pushbumper for cost of shipping??? Could come in useful