• Premium 91+

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Regular Ethanol Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Premium Ethanol Free

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Regular Unleaded. Since we are above 5,000 ft in Colorado, our Regular Unleaded is 85 Octane. Don't tow, don't hammer it; in fact, just baby it. Never had an issue with knocking or any engine/drivetrain glitches.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because our driving is pretty much limited to running around in town, we run on 87 Octane, but we always buy top tier products which have the same amount of additives as the higher Octane versions. If we were going to drive under conditions that require a higher octane (towing, mountainous roads etc.) we would use the higher versions. Granted ours has low mileage, but so far, so good.

Old Gearhead

Reaction score
I live rurally so if I am staying in town or around the area I will use 87. If I plan on traveling I switch to 93. Without a doubt 93 is what it loves based on acceleration and shifting. All the gas in my area contains ethanol except for a few stations near the marina. Since purchasing always ran gas with ethanol.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There used to be a show on the radio called Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers. They were humorous, but I thought they were very well informed, both graduating from MIT.

They always claimed that it made no difference between regular and high test gas. I've been running regular with ethanol in 4 of my Expeditions with no issues. They still have had plenty of power, even pulling my 9,000 pound trailer.

I even run that same fuel in my 1981 Yamaha 650 with no issues.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was running 87, but it seemed to stubble or hesitate some. Went back to 91 and it runs better.

The manual says 87, "for best overall performance...91 or higher is preferred". Somewhere, perhaps the brochure, it states to get the 400 hp in the platinum, it needs 91.

And not to beat this dead horse, you do know gas is gas, right? From some one who loaded and hauled it for years and years, it's all the same. Out of the same pipeline, out of the same tank, out of the same trailer. It doesn't matter if it's Costco, Shell, QT or Sunoco....it's the same. IF additives are put it, it's at the terminal and it's AT MOST, 1% of what's in your gas. Buy it on price point from a busy store. Don't fall for "mines better than yours", or it runs better on brand X. It's all the same...this is FACT.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers
Ahh, yes, Click and Clack. Funny, smart guys. I just don't know anymore. With all these turbo and supercharged engines, more and more manufacturers are requiring premium. Do they really know something (Tom's been gone for almost 10 years, the shows been off air for almost 12 years), or has time pasted click and clack and technology has changed and premium is required?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try this (I ain't wasting money on 93 octane.)

-- Chuck
Interesting and kind of what I expected. I'll continue to do what I'm doing, which is run the truck on 87 when driving locally and on 93 when towing and / or taking long trips.