What is the best year Expedition to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016/2017 - If you're after CarPlay/Android Auto

2016's are the first year you can get CarPlay/Android Auto (it requires a quick mod and software upgrade), 2017's have it enabled by default.

Also depends on how picky you are about some things...see below

My Pros
- CarPlay/Android Auto capable
- Still the box body (not the new sloped look)
- Real shifter (not the dial thing)
- LED fog lights
- Sony audio (I think sounds slightly better than the B&O, but that's just me)
- No auto start/stop (although you can permanently disable this on the newer models, thankfully)
- Ambient lighting

My Cons
- Turbo 6 only...no 8 option. (Admittedly, the turbo is fun though. Catch can is your call; I've read countless theads)
- Uses the previous gen turbo 6 with direct injection only. The newer port/direct injection models do run more smoothly, at least from my experience.
- No HID/LED headlight option, but does have projector lenses. (I've modded with HIDs, very happy with results)
- No chrome wheels from the factory (I've replaced with custom chromed OEM rims)
- No cabin air filter (still don't know why this wasn't a thing)
- No LED interior or exterior lighting (Fogs excluded; I've replaced all my bulbs, very happy with those)
- Older style instrument cluster
- No Telematics (i.e. cellular remote start. There was a Ford authorized mod for this which I had, but they discontinued it due to ATT's sunsetting of 3G service)

I did a write up on what I observed when I rented a 2018...might be helpful.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...thoughts-from-a-2016-owner.40202/#post-354768

I'm looking for a V10 Excursion Limited 4x4 (2005 if possible) as a second truck. But finding a decently priced one (ex. I found a 2005 with 86k on it that a dealer wants 32k for...LOL) that hasn't been beat to hell is really difficult I'm finding. I've also heard rumors of a 2021 Excursion...we'll see.

Idk man, the b&o sounds great. Everyyime I tested the Sony in the expy, it sounded underpowered and I could never get it to open up. However, the Sony in the ford edge was probably the best system in a vehicle I ever heard, followed by the thx in the mkx.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Idk man, the b&o sounds great. Everyyime I tested the Sony in the expy, it sounded underpowered and I could never get it to open up. However, the Sony in the ford edge was probably the best system in a vehicle I ever heard, followed by the thx in the mkx.

I’ve only heard the B&O for about a day in a rental. I won’t lie, it did impress after I played with it a bit.

I agree, the Sony has a significant bass roll off and feels like it’s capable of more.

I added a 10 inch JBL to my Sony system and did a ton of sound dampening, which helped a TON so admittedly, I wasn’t comparing stock to stock. The B&O was very impressive though.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's hard to test vehicle sound system with only a few minutes let alone a day. Theres certain music I like to listen too, but its on my phone. However, my USB always sounds better than Bluetooth, but it's harder to find the best songs on it in the small timeframe.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so we’re choosing a truck based on the radio?
I like the knobs on my 2001. I test drove a 2017 with the base model radio and could not adjust anything on the radio without looking from the road. Not a good way to drive a 6,000 LB missile.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I like the thing where I plug my iPhone to that screen on the dash and it shows me a map and I can play the songs on my phone.
Now that’s cool maan!

Dsternagle

Reaction score
Bought a used 2017 limited,60k,rental mostly. Me and wife love it, plenty of room for our 2 toddler boys and gear. Drives like a sports car, very quiet, has laminated front glass! Did the cheap $50 catch can works great. Also installed trans. pan with a drain bolt. Great vehicle!!!! So far. Loads of power, and acceleration but will suffer gas mileage if you ‘use’ the turbos.

jenglish

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Expedition EL and am also experiencing the same USB/Line In. Were you ever able to resolve that issue?