What is this noise on start up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
My 2014EL 5.4 does the same thing ... I think. This sounds more "grinding" than mine but now that I hear this I will listen closer. It's always done this, periodically ... not every start. I'm gonna try experimenting with not having AUTO temp controls ON when I start it.

Of course .. I'll have to wait a while. Not driving it much now, I use the BEATER for daily driving and only get the 2014 out every 2 weeks to take it out on the Thruway and make sure it gets its legs stretched.

This would be cool if I had an explanation and a workaround. The noise always "bugged me".

Hulkster

Reaction score
It is probably your timing chain tensioner. Sometimes with age they bleed over night or after some time. When you first start it there is no oil pressure yet and as they get the oil the slack is taken out. Or it could be compressor it’s a Ford welcome to the family!

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2014EL 5.4 does the same thing ... I think. This sounds more "grinding" than mine but now that I hear this I will listen closer. It's always done this, periodically ... not every start. I'm gonna try experimenting with not having AUTO temp controls ON when I start it.

Of course .. I'll have to wait a while. Not driving it much now, I use the BEATER for daily driving and only get the 2014 out every 2 weeks to take it out on the Thruway and make sure it gets its legs stretched.

This would be cool if I had an explanation and a workaround. The noise always "bugged me".
The bad tensioners drain down more the longer they sit, let it sit longer and see what happens when you start it

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65