What is this noise?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlexpeditionMax

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here. I’ve got a 2019 Expedition Limited Max with about 36k miles, and right around 32k it started making a high pitched whistle between approximately 40-50mph.

Long story story, I’ve done just about everything possible to isolate the issue, all windows and roof open and closed, transmission in 2/4A, in neutral, mirrors folded in and out, absolutely nothing changes the noise. It has been to the dealer twice now and they’ve taped the entire wiper cowling to no effect, and have since advised they believe it to be a transmission/mechanical issue.

To me it sounds far more like a wind noise than mechanical, especially as it’s affected only by speed, not engine or drivetrain load. The best I can tell it seems to be coming from the driver’s mirror. I’ve taped that off entirely as well, and the noise persists.

The dealer has since opened up a help ticket directly with Ford, but I’m hoping someone here has already resolved the problem. Appreciate your help!

Attachments

• B6701C91-B49C-48A4-A928-589DA5B603DB.jpeg
    B6701C91-B49C-48A4-A928-589DA5B603DB.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres a few threads from members who have noise coming from there mirrors. I believe most of them replaced the door sealing, but a search in the forum will help you find it.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been chasing a whistling noise near my driver's door and it turned out to be the beltline molding on the driver's door. I bought the part and replaced it myself even though it would have been covered under warranty. I didn't want to deal with the inconvenience of taking it to the dealer, etc. The only way to isolate and identify a noise like this is to spend the time necessary yourself by taping up the entire door (all seams everywhere) with blue painters tape until the noise can be isolated and identified. No dealer is going to spend the time needed to do this task since they can't bill Ford for the time required to isolate the noise.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, a bit of an "out of the box" suggestion....

It sounds (at least to my ear in that video) a bit digital. Could it be a glitch in the software that makes the artificial engine noise? These vehicles feed artificial engine noise into the cabin to make up for the relative quiet of the V6. Perhaps that "engine noise track" got corrupted or something and what you are hearing is the bad audio. Or even a problem with the speakers producing the noise?

Similarly, I know only the Platinums have active noise cancelling which involves "sensing" the ambient noise in the cabin and producing a sound to counter it. But if the hardware for that system is in all trims, maybe something there is on the fritz that is manifesting this sound.

I'm just thinking about the fact that a) it sounds digital to me, b) you haven't been able to isolate it or address it with physical changes, and c) it is affected by speed changes.

Then again, if it is not affected by changes in engine load, maybe not.

Or, this is an entirely ridiculous suggestion and you're all pointing and laughing at me.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, a bit of an "out of the box" suggestion....

It sounds (at least to my ear in that video) a bit digital. Could it be a glitch in the software that makes the artificial engine noise? These vehicles feed artificial engine noise into the cabin to make up for the relative quiet of the V6. Perhaps that "engine noise track" got corrupted or something and what you are hearing is the bad audio. Or even a problem with the speakers producing the noise?

Similarly, I know only the Platinums have active noise cancelling which involves "sensing" the ambient noise in the cabin and producing a sound to counter it. But if the hardware for that system is in all trims, maybe something there is on the fritz that is manifesting this sound.

I'm just thinking about the fact that a) it sounds digital to me, b) you haven't been able to isolate it or address it with physical changes, and c) it is affected by speed changes.

Then again, if it is not affected by changes in engine load, maybe not.

Or, this is an entirely ridiculous suggestion and you're all pointing and laughing at me.
I think your on to something here. Also, noticed the transmission gauge is null in the video (not at running temp etc.).