What oil and Filter combo in the new Ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first change is coming up. Just be careful with the lock tab on the plastic drain plug. Don’t snap it off.

I plan on running Costco synthetic blend which is a Warren rebranded oil. Same stuff as Amazon brand it’s decent oil for general use.

Mobil 1 went junk status in around 2004 when it dropped the Euro Standard oil quality in the US Market. My 06 Mercedes from factory in Germany has Mobil 1 only stickers all over under the hood. It hasn’t had Mobil 1 in it since arriving in the US. The best oils I’ve come across and used by a drag engine builder buddy are all oil company oils. None are secondary stock oils purchased and blended by non oil company names. Cheveron oils are some of the best.
I’ll give this Warren blend Kirkland stuff a spin see how it holds up.

I quit Mobil 1 when three of my cars that never saw more than .5 qt or less usage all saw a huge jump in useage with the reblended Mobil 1 junk. My Toyota 4.7 went through 4 quarts if Mobil 1 in 6000 miles!! Switched to Chevron and went back to zero. Same for my wifes VW.
Skip Mobil 1 its junk oil in the US market. The Merc dealers can’t get the Euro spec stuff consistently so most have switched to other oils with high performance Euro specs.

stefan gimenez

Reaction score
Pennzoil platinum with Napa gold on 18 navigator. I’ve been using pennzoil for sometime now and like the oil. Navi has basically same engine, however equal to raptor engine. Planning on doing oil change every 5k or so as oil is cheap enough. There is rebate now to get $10back for 5qts jugs.

Also installed the fumoto drain plug for easier oil change each time. Makes it much cleaner and faster oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the part number of the fumoto plug you use and is your truck a new body style?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first change is coming up. Just be careful with the lock tab on the plastic drain plug. Don’t snap it off.

I plan on running Costco synthetic blend which is a Warren rebranded oil. Same stuff as Amazon brand it’s decent oil for general use.

Mobil 1 went junk status in around 2004 when it dropped the Euro Standard oil quality in the US Market. My 06 Mercedes from factory in Germany has Mobil 1 only stickers all over under the hood. It hasn’t had Mobil 1 in it since arriving in the US. The best oils I’ve come across and used by a drag engine builder buddy are all oil company oils. None are secondary stock oils purchased and blended by non oil company names. Cheveron oils are some of the best.
I’ll give this Warren blend Kirkland stuff a spin see how it holds up.

I quit Mobil 1 when three of my cars that never saw more than .5 qt or less usage all saw a huge jump in useage with the reblended Mobil 1 junk. My Toyota 4.7 went through 4 quarts if Mobil 1 in 6000 miles!! Switched to Chevron and went back to zero. Same for my wifes VW.
Skip Mobil 1 its junk oil in the US market. The Merc dealers can’t get the Euro spec stuff consistently so most have switched to other oils with high performance Euro specs.
I too noticed quite a bit of consumption on a fairly high mile Expedition 5.4 first gen that previously use no oil and was very clean inside.
This was probably around 2012 or 2013. But I was probably late to the game getting ahold of the new formulation mobil 1 as I really hadn't been using full synthetic in many things.
The thing didn't start leaking but the oil went somewhere.

Four or five years years ago the best used oil analysis was coming from the Pennzoil Platinum. Right before they went to the Natural Gas. Does anyone know how those are rankings now?

Just can't bring myself to pay the price for ansl even though their higher-end is some awesome good quality oil. I even upset that Walmart keeps cranking their price up on the oil. I don't want to pay $26 for 5 quarts of oil. I'm cheap. Maybe I'm going to have to start looking for some of these good online deals for the six packs or Costco on sale.

At Walmart, you basically have a selection of full synthetic and high-mileage synthetic from Pennzoil, Castro, Valvoline, mobil 1, and Quaker State. All from 23 to $28 for 5 quarts.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you all know, some of the dealers, and oil change places aren't all honest!

My buddy was a Mechanic at a Ford Dealership and he said the other mechanic that did all the oil changes would drain part of the oil out and then refill the car to full capacity and then he would throw all the extra oil in his truck and take it home for his personal use. I absolutely don't trust anyone anymore. Its sad, but its the world we live in.......

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you all know, some of the dealers, and oil change places aren't all honest!

My buddy was a Mechanic at a Ford Dealership and he said the other mechanic that did all the oil changes would drain part of the oil out and then refill the car to full capacity and then he would throw all the extra oil in his truck and take it home for his personal use. I absolutely don't trust anyone anymore. Its sad, but its the world we live in.......

So true, boat dealers are even worse. I always mark my filters so I at least know they changed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65