Wheels have been decided. Question is will 275/70/18s fit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BABCE722-06EB-444F-9B3F-F95F38EA3113.png Saw a couple pics online of silver trucks with matte bronze (not glossy bronze) wheels and was really impressed with the contrast. So the search was on and pretty sure I am not going to find any better to my liking as the Black Rhino Roku. Simple describes them nicely.

The question remains will 275/70/18s fit? Or possibly even wider. I would like a 33” tire.
The wheels in question are 18x9.5 with a 12mm offset.

The rig will be lifted 1” to start and hopefully in the end lifted 3”. 33s should fit no question at 3” lift not sure about 1”
I am not wanting to go the spacer route so at the moment I am limited to 1”

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Not sure about fitment but here's the difference between an oem 20" and your new specs. I'm guessing you'll rub on stock height and a 1" lift. I say that because I lifted 2" and was told it will now fit 33's.

Screenshot_2018-10-13-10-56-48.png

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can lift the front 2” and the rear 1”.
I happen to like the factory rake but leveled is not the end of the world for me if I can run 33s.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
33's should fit as-is unless the offset is horrendously off

Rancho levelling advertises that adding them allows you to clear 35"s

PS please tell me you ain't paying more than $100 total for them hooptie wheels

Last edited:

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@shinysideup2 said he is rubbing with a 275/60R20 (33”) on a 20x9 with +18 offset, with no lift. He’s rubbing the fender trim. Your tire edge will be even further out than his, which would indicate to me that you’re likely going to have problems, even at 1” of lift. With 2”, I’d call it a maybe.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
33's should fit as-is unless the offset is horrendously off

Rancho levelling advertises that adding them allows you to clear 35"s

PS please tell me you ain't paying more than $100 total for them hooptie wheels

Sure would be nice if I could find them that cheap.
Just looking for a simple 5 or 6 spoke soft bronze wheel and it fits the bill.

OP
OP
Black

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely so as I should be able to get some decent money for them as I have tires with less than 8k miles on them.

Question is how long before I can put the money away to buy them.

PSD Bullitt

Reaction score
The lift is critical because the offset moves the tire outward under the edge of the fender and body. With the taller tire if you hit a dip or big bump where the springs/ shocks compress, your tire will hit the fender hard.

It probably won’t rub anywhere in a slow full turn without the lift but hitting a pothole or speed bump could cause body damage.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey @Black. Think about a body lift in addition to your suspension lift. With a +12 offset and 33" x 10.8" tires, The outer edge of your tires will be pushed out over an inch as @gixer2000 indicated. Your 275/70R18 are the exact same outer dimensions as my 275/60R20 (33" x 10.8"). At a +18 offset, my tires "stick out" about 6mm (1/4") less than yours will with that wheel. At stock height, I rub pretty badly when 'wheeling, and have torn out part of my right rear fender trim. I've had to cut all 4 fender trims at the top with a razor blade, which helps give the tires a bit more room, but they still rub at full stuff. Any more trimming will require cutting metal, so I stopped there until I can find a not-too-rough looking fender solution.

Remember that suspension lifts (whether by spring or spacer) only change the resting position of your wheels in the same suspension arc (vs stock) relative to the body. So while you'll have more travel before you touch body parts, you will still likely rub body parts at full stuff when off-roading or driving over dips at a fun-but-faster-than-normal pace. This is why I'm a fan of body lifts. They don't look great, but they're super-functional in this respect. An inch of body lift can give you much better tire clearance than a couple inches of suspension lift. I plan on a 1" to 1.5" body lift in addition to a very mild suspension lift (1-2" like you), and I'll armor up (rock sliders, skid plates).

Now, the big question is- how do we install a body lift when nobody makes a kit? Washers & bolts... then gotta think about how to extend the steering column, and which wires and hoses will start to pull. Probably a full weekend project which I don't currently have time for.

BTW, on tires - I decided on Nitto LT-duty E-rated tires (Exo Grappler) because my main priorities are to NOT bust a tire when wheeling with the family, and tow-steadiness - hence the large 20" wheels (less than ideal for 'off-roading) + E-load range. Nitto tends to overbuild their tires. With the 20x9 Methods I got, this combo is 103 lbs per corner vs. the stock 77 lbs. Yikes! Acceleration and MPG both suffer a bit. I've also run Dick Cepek Extreme Country (E load range) on my 4Runner. Those are amazing tires, awesome off-road traction, air down nicely, but not as stiff or durable as the Nittos and a bit noisier due to the larger tread voids.

Good luck with your decision. Nice wheels! They look a bit like Volk TE-37's.

Last edited: