When is it time for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both above posts are spot on.
Just like Briggs and Stratton small engines saying never needs oil changes- just check and top off. Marketing bull an helping planned obsolescence and short replacement intervals.

I new one has less metal and grit etc than a rebuilt one but still surfaces are getting polished and wearing in and seating in.
Not that it will shorten the life of the engine to go what they say 7500-10k or more vs dumping first oil at 2000 but the first oil WILL get dirtier and have more contaminants in it than future oil changers will.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The filter only filters so small. Some very small pieces still circulate....

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I would be on the fence regarding early oil changes (I’ll be changing mine at 3k) instead of the 5 to 7k, if you are capable of spending 50 to 70k on a vehicle, the few bucks extra a year on earlier oil changes isn’t going to make a scrap of difference, cost wise.

ive seen oil analysis on oil that has run significant miles, and while technically, it still has life left, the ‘old school’ mentality about a mechanical system rotating around at 6000rpm with reciprocating components rubbing against one another, stressed by mini explosions, tends to make me think that an early oil change isn’t going to hurt.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the dealer I went to is new, the place is nicer than my BMW dealer with a wall of tv, ms surface to use and a cafe type waiting area.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember oil and filters are cheap, engines and turbos and transmissions are expensive. Fresh fluids aren’t a guarantee of zero failures but it certainly can’t hurt.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the dealer I went to is new, the place is nicer than my BMW dealer with a wall of tv, ms surface to use and a cafe type waiting area.
This is a Ford dealer? Sounds like they have been reading the multiple complaints voiced in this forum haha

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I would be on the fence regarding early oil changes (I’ll be changing mine at 3k) instead of the 5 to 7k, if you are capable of spending 50 to 70k on a vehicle, the few bucks extra a year on earlier oil changes isn’t going to make a scrap of difference, cost wise.

ive seen oil analysis on oil that has run significant miles, and while technically, it still has life left, the ‘old school’ mentality about a mechanical system rotating around at 6000rpm with reciprocating components rubbing against one another, stressed by mini explosions, tends to make me think that an early oil change isn’t going to hurt.

They're mostly mortgaged.....

Dclr

Reaction score
I may be in the minority around here but I’m sticking w/ the scheduled maintenance oil changes as per the manual. If my 2019 engine craps out as a result of following their specified maintenance intervals, Ford can gladly pay for a replacement. I've never had an engine in any vehicle I've ever owned seize or had internals fail and I've neglected some of them to hell and back when I was younger. For transparency purposes, I have no plans on keeping it more than 5-7 years, and yes, I do have an ESP.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I may be in the minority around here but I’m sticking w/ the scheduled maintenance oil changes as per the manual. If my 2019 engine craps out as a result of following their specified maintenance intervals, Ford can gladly pay for a replacement. I've never had an engine in any vehicle I've ever owned seize or had internals fail and I've neglected some of them to hell and back when I was younger. For transparency purposes, I have no plans on keeping it more than 5-7 years, and yes, I do have an ESP.
I’m doing the same. We got the maintenance plan and they come get it every 7500 miles. Once that and the warranty are up we’ll decide at that point to keep it or bail. That will be at the 8 year point unless we hit the mileage which wouldn’t be too much earlier if we did.