Where to put the geny when towing a travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waterlizard

Reaction score
Hey everyone first post from me, thanks for the help in advance.

I tow a forest river travel trailer with my 08 hd tow Expy. I have some dry camping trips coming up and am wondering where you all put your generators while towing. I know I can put it in the back of Expy and inside the trailer but I don’t want to. I’ve seen the stand that goes above the propane tanks but am really not very interested in lifting it that high up(our generator weighs 100lbs).

I wanted to mount on back bumper but now understand there is no way it could support it safely. Has anybody put a hitch receiver in the front of the Expy and mounted a storage tray while towing?

Fully loaded scale verified my trailer is 7200lbs
Tongue weight 720

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the trailer mfg, you may not be able to put anything on the trailer bumper. I have a Coachmen APEX (also a Forest River company) and for my year - 2015 - they "say" no bike racks, grills, etc. Plus at 30' plus A-frame, not sure I want something way back there. I'd put it in the trailer at a point where it can help even out the front to back load. Have fun!!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen the hitch mounted storage trays (or very similar sized baskets) mounted to the trailer tongue itself. Should give plenty of room for your propane and generator side by side.

Stolen Google image:
2012-06-22_12.45.04.jpg

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at bumpers on Travel Trailers and most only have four bolts and thin sheet metal to fasten the bumper to the camper. In my mind that makes bumpers nothing more than a decoration. To carry heavier items it would be best to weld any "rack" to the frame of the camper. Then you need to double check things like weight balance. Add a hundred to the back and what does it do to the tongue? Will the tail weight cause the tail to wag the dog?

If you have a roof rack on the tow vehicle that would be good. If you empty the generator of all gas, which I do to travel, it might be placed inside the camper close to the axle for weight control.

OP
OP
W

Waterlizard

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, I think it’s best to get a bin and slide it in the tt. I only have about 3 years left of the Expy and then I’ll have a bed of a truck to throw it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerEazy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get a 4" bumper hitch kit off Amazon for the TT maybe $50 if you get the really good one. They support up to 250 lbs. Then add a hitch carrier and strap the geny down to that (along with coolers or whatever). I've got a Grey Wolf and master bedroom is in the front of the trailer. So having the geny at the back you might be able just to run it there.

Best place (weight distribution/ease of use) would be on the front A-frame of the trailer.

Either way, after you load it up and then re-adjust your WD Hitch - extra weight on the front or rear will affect the ride otherwise.

Last edited: