Whistling sound from front Heat/AC system + Turbo noise until warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unsta

Reaction score
I've got a very annoying whistle that comes from my vents on anything higher than 50% fan speed that goes away completely when I select recycle inside air.

Dealer replaced the blower motor, no different.

I've also noticed a bit of a ticking sound that seems to coordinate with the Turbo spooling up when the engine is still cold (first 5 minutes or so) - I'd be interested if anyone else noticed the same thing. I had the window down for the first time the other day during this period and the Turbo whine outside is VERY noticeable during this time also.

2017 XLT w/201A

Floranama

Reaction score
I've got a very annoying whistle that comes from my vents on anything higher than 50% fan speed that goes away completely when I select recycle inside air.

I've also noticed a bit of a ticking sound that seems to coordinate with the Turbo spooling up when the engine is still cold (first 5 minutes or so) - I'd be interested if anyone else noticed the same thing. I had the window down for the first time the other day during this period and the Turbo whine outside is VERY noticeable during this time also.

2017 XLT w/201A

I just joined the forum and this was going to be my first question. Bought the Expedition in the winter, so the first time turning on the AC this weekend.

It's the same issue as you described, but haven't gone to the dealership yet. Hope someone has some info....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turbos whine - if they don't then there is a problem.
Have those lazy dealer "mechanics" scope the ventilation air intake for obstruction in the airflow.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

2017 XLT w/201A

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 Limited - ordered and purchased new.

I returned the vehicle to the dealer because the cooling fan system was making a loud "roaring" noise during high ambient temperatures. The noise sounded as though the engine cooling fan(s) bearings were failing.

The dealer stated the cooling fans were operating as designed, but the HVAC system had a TSB with a re program update. It was performed.

Ever since - I now get the whistling noise from my vents unless I select the inside air feature or reduce the fan speed to almost the minimum. It is VERY annoying.

I suspect my 2015 received a later HVAC system calibration used on the 2016 & 2017 models, which causes the whistle. I feel as though Ford made the system worse, instead of improving it.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No such noises from my 17 as far as the HVAC is concerned. When I first start it I can hear the turbos spool up then it goes away. Since installing my K&N intake I can really hear the turbos when on the throttle. I like it

Floranama

Reaction score
Turbos whine - if they don't then there is a problem.
Have those lazy dealer "mechanics" scope the ventilation air intake for obstruction in the airflow.

Forgot to mention, mine is a 2017. I understand about the turbo, but my question is more towards the HVAC whistling as the OP originally stated. Only whistles from mid to high. Nothing on low. I checked if there was an debris where I could, nada...

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but I think we're attempting to arrive at the same conclusion. Get rid of whistling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a '16 and no whistling from the HVAC. As for the turbo....gezz I never drive the truck until the engine oil temp reads normal. Let everything reach operating temp unless it's lease then all bets are off and drive it like you stole it.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i bet there is a blockage somewhere in the air system. mine on full blow is loud and full of air sounds but no whistle.
could be a loose duct connection, did they tear into it or just do the update,
and what was the update? Mine was rebuilt last year right after we bought the expy, a suction line had a cracked vale weld joint,
i was told its a new style system that only puts air out to the temp selected, as in if you set it for 72 then thats the temp of the air from the vents...i say BULL MUFFINS
its freaking cold. only air volume and speed is different based on temp setting
but rear a/c is on full cold mid fan all the time in summer, its like a freezer

turbo noise???? almost never, the cabin is to quite. even under hard full throttle i only hear engine noises

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score

2017 XLT w/201A
I'll bet you have a busted blend door actuator. The clicking is a common symptom and the whistle is from the door being stuck closed when it should be bringing in outside air

Paperladee

Reaction score
FYI, I have the whistle in 2014. Happens when one vent on dash is open more than other