WiFi Hotspot operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did some checking this evening; it appears that circuit #12 is the one that controls the hotspot. Getting too dark out to do much more with it this evening. #17 is paired with #18 which controls the ignition switch among other things, so I think it is hot all the time. #12 is paired with #13 and appears to turn on and off with the ignition. I'll verify that probably tomorrow.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Edistobob

Check this out. Looks like a 5 Amp Fuse 17. Not sure if that is the interior fuse box or the one in the engine bay. See if it has 12V when the vehicle is off, this diagram states it is "Hot at all times". If that is true, we are going to have to keep digging.

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1534365658.jpg
That’s the cell phone radio and it’s going to be hot al the time... else how would the FordPass app be able to interact with the vehicle. Do you have a diagram for the WiFi radio?

CobraO

Reaction score
^^

I think you may be right, but I think this is also running the hot spot. Everything I look up with Wifi or Hotspot points to the Telematics Control Unit (TCU).

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I found out is that both circuits #17 and #12 are hot all the time. #17 is listed as "telematics control unit-modem" and #12 is listed as "Cluster; Electronic control panel; Smart datalink connector logic". Yet, the mobile hotspot will not work if ignition is off--it is listed as "not available at this time" on the touchscreen. So back to the drawing board: something else obviously in play regarding the hotspot operation besides these two circuits. Thanks for your help and any suggestions.

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely software.

The cell unit probably has the radios for the wifi hotspot and shuts those down when the ignition it off to conserve battery.

My guess is that the wifi radios are only active when Sync is active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Likely software.

The cell unit probably has the radios for the wifi hotspot and shuts those down when the ignition it off to conserve battery.

My guess is that the wifi radios are only active when Sync is active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to, probably a function of the software in the telematics contol unit. Looks like the only way to run the hotspot is with the engine running or with just the ignition/accessories power on. Each method would have to deal with the automatic shutdown timers that exist.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, assuming that the wifi radios are only active when Sync is active: is there any way for Sync to be active unless the ignition/accessories switch is on? It appears that the wifi/Sync goes down after approximately 45 minutes even if the ignition is left on (even though the auto engine shutoff is bypassed). I am assuming that all would stay on if the engine is left running, which I don't want to do. I even tried this today (ignition on, engine not running, auto engine shutoff bypassed) with a battery charger hooked up so that the battery would not significantly drain; however, when 45 minutes passed, the ignition/accessories shut down everything with the message that it was doing so to conserve battery.