WiFi Hotspot operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted this in the Forscan forum a few weeks ago but no one has come up with an answer yet. Maybe someone here knows the answer:

What is the best way to have the hotspot remain on when you're away from the vehicle? It is a very handy feature when RVing, camping, picnicing, etc., but ideally you could leave the hotspot on for a while without continually having to turn the vehicle back on after it times out. Anyone have any techniques or workarounds for that?

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to end up with a dead battery while you're out possibly away from civilization.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, gotta be sure to not leave it on too long. Nevertheless, it is extremely handy when Rving--and if for some reason I accidentally let the battery get too low, I can always start the car from the RV's power source. Power draw shouldn't be much different than from just leaving the radio on to listen to while outside the vehicle.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I have another question regarding the wifi hotspot. I initially assumed it would operate as long as the radio was on. However, I noticed today that it requires the ignition/accessories power to be on. Even though the radio will continue to operate without the ignition on, the hotspot turns off with the ignition. Does anyone with a wiring diagram know which circuit/fuse controls the hotspot power? The owners manual fuse chart did not give enough detail for me to figure it out. Before I start pulling fuses one-by-one, I was hoping someone could tell for sure how the hotspot receives its power.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh I know...leave the car on ACC and just get a solar panel to keep the car's battery charged up.

It'd be interesting to put a current meter around the battery terminals while you're in ACC and running the WiFi.

CobraO

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you could back power it through the fuse panel. Find the correct fuse and connect a 12V source, like a jumper pack. That may power just the hot spot and leave the rest of the vehicle off. Might need the wiring schematics to find the correct fuse(s) that would need power. If it worked, you could install an easy plug to use when wanted.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you could back power it through the fuse panel. Find the correct fuse and connect a 12V source, like a jumper pack. That may power just the hot spot and leave the rest of the vehicle off. Might need the wiring schematics to find the correct fuse(s) that would need power. If it worked, you could install an easy plug to use when wanted.

Thx, good suggestion and something like that is what I’m thinking too. I’m hoping someone can identify the fuse that controls it.

CobraO

Reaction score
@Edistobob

Check this out. Looks like a 5 Amp Fuse 17. Not sure if that is the interior fuse box or the one in the engine bay. See if it has 12V when the vehicle is off, this diagram states it is "Hot at all times". If that is true, we are going to have to keep digging.

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1534365658.jpg

CobraO

Reaction score
Also found this. You can get to it by removing the center console. Maybe you can back power it directly when the vehicle is off.

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1534366484.jpg