Wind Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue - verified by folding in the mirrors, whistle disappears - also same speed range of 45-55 mph where the whistling was the worst.
My dealership got the whole driver door mirror assembly replaced by Ford in an overkill effort but it fixed the problem.

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
I had the same issue - verified by folding in the mirrors, whistle disappears - also same speed range of 45-55 mph where the whistling was the worst.
My dealership got the whole driver door mirror assembly replaced by Ford in an overkill effort but it fixed the problem.
Thanks for the info- good effort on the dealership's part. Maybe your dealership should call my dealership and tell them how to properly handle a reported problem.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same issue with ours, but only hear it with the window down. Will be mentioning it on our first scheduled service coming up soon.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info- good effort on the dealership's part. Maybe your dealership should call my dealership and tell them how to properly handle a reported problem.
That took place last year, July if I remember correctly.
They didn't mention a TSB at the time

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's really maddening working with the dealer right now. I went on a ride along with a senior tech yesterday, he was driving, and I explained what he should look for. He heard it and he's the one who mentioned the fix with foam in the mirror. Another tech is working on the car today and the service advisor mentioned that they need to first replace some "rain/splash guard" on the window and see if that corrects the problem, to which I promptly told them that the noise is also present when you roll the window down and doesn't go away until you cup your hand over the front-face of the mirror. The response was "ok, but we still need to replace this part first." It just doesn't make any sense!!! That's not the source of the noise, what part don't they get?

That's not how it works. They have a prescribed list of things from Ford they have to try in listed order to satisfy the warranty requirements, otherwise Ford will not reimburse them for their time or parts used.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's not how it works. They have a prescribed list of things from Ford they have to try in listed order to satisfy the warranty requirements, otherwise Ford will not reimburse them for their time or parts used.

Which definitely isn't helping them with their warranty liability. Like when I went in, and reproduce the wastegate rattles about 30 times, the tech agreed that's where it was coming from, but Ford told them to do the VCT fix first. The noises are 4 feet apart, but yet lets still do this major, expensive surgery first. You know, like hey doc, I have a broken ankle, but they do shoulder surgery first.

That also inherently means they don't trust their techs. If they say I reproduced it this way, stopped it this way, but Ford says do something else. Tells me they have a call center agent reading a script that likely knows nothing about the issue at hand.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which definitely isn't helping them with their warranty liability. Like when I went in, and reproduce the wastegate rattles about 30 times, the tech agreed that's where it was coming from, but Ford told them to do the VCT fix first. The noises are 4 feet apart, but yet lets still do this major, expensive surgery first. You know, like hey doc, I have a broken ankle, but they do shoulder surgery first.

That also inherently means they don't trust their techs. If they say I reproduced it this way, stopped it this way, but Ford says do something else. Tells me they have a call center agent reading a script that likely knows nothing about the issue at hand.

Not arguing with you, but the diagnosis trees they issue exist to prevent:
  1. Less able techs from replacing parts willy-nilly based on hunches or customer suspicions, which ultimately will all be billed back to Ford corporate
  2. Prevent shrinkage from less trustworthy techs (even techs are human and some give in to temptation) replacing parts unnecessarily on say, their friends vehicles.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not arguing with you, but the diagnosis trees they issue exist to prevent:
  1. Less able techs from replacing parts willy-nilly based on hunches or customer suspicions, which ultimately will all be billed back to Ford corporate
  2. Prevent shrinkage from less trustworthy techs (even techs are human and some give in to temptation) replacing parts unnecessarily on say, their friends vehicles.

I hear ya, stupidity and fraud are huge issues. But some of these things are so mindless and non-sensical that it is actually very counter productive. When a heavy engine mechanic that has been Ford "certified" for 20+ years says I know it's not that, its this, and they are still over ruled, there is no justification. Not to mention techs that are found to do the "wrong" things should effectively lose their certs, just like say an attorney could in a review hearing. But I'm guessing accountability is an after thought.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I found the culprit of my wind whistling noise. There is a small channel at the base of the mirror where it mounts to the doors right above the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the windows. The channel is easiest to see from the front of the mirrors. The photos below are of the front side of the passenger's side mirror. I had some backer rod on hand, which is meant to fill expansion joints in concrete and is a dense foam material meant for outdoor use. I cut some small pieces and stuffed them into the channel at the base of the mirrors and it stops the wind from whistling in that channel. The area is really hard to see, so I'm not too worried about the gray foam against the black mirror base, but I'll keep my eye out for similar material that is black. It's a 5 minute fix for anyone that is tired of messing around with the dealer trying to solve the issue. Also, this fix isn't affected by folding the mirrors since this is the fixed base of the mirror.

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Highlightreel

Reaction score
I have this issue too from my driver's side and was checking in to see if there was a TSB yet or enough notes to make it a clear fix. Very annoying for NOT a 1988 vehicle. Then this old Bubb Rubb gem popped into my brain again. "the whistles go wooo"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01