Would be nice to see this in a 2022 Expedition for the ones who would like a V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Ecoboost engines are the volume leaders in the F150.

The 7.3 engine was designed to fill the gap between the 6.2 and 6.7 diesel. It was designed to go into fleet and commercial vehicles, not consumer vehicles. Fleets and commercial operators generally tow/haul more frequently so unladen mpg wasn't a concern. Ford wanted an architecture that was more durable, provided reduced maintenance, and provided good mpg while under heavy loads. The Super Duty chassis vehicles aren't subject to CAFE because of their weight.

For the 6.8, it's probably a downsized 7.3 with some changes for consumer applications to boost mpg. Ford doesn't have a decent v8 alternative for the Ecoboost. The F150 moves enough volume that having a higher output v8 likely makes sense. It would probably sell more than the 3.0 diesel, and costs can be spread out by adding it to the Mustang. Both platforms likely have some consumers for whom mpg is secondary, either because they tow frequently or the car is not a daily driver. And both platforms will have more fuel efficient alternatives to the 6.8 available.

I'm not convinced that we'll see the 6.8 in the Expedition. The mpg hit would be too heavy, for virtually no performance improvement over the 3.5. The 3.5 HO already offers superior hp/torque to what the 7.3 offers. I average 15 mpg around town.I can't imagine what the 6.8 would be rated. I think a rating in the low teens would be a turnoff for many people.

Personally, I would rather see Powerboost offered. More power, better mpg, and more functionality for camping.

7.3 comes in all trims not just fleet and is only in the f250.

Ecoboost will eventually be replaced on full size trucks and go into crossovers exclusively.

The 6.8 will be offered in the f150 only.

Pushrod engines are back at Ford for a reason. Ecoboost is not the future on Ford trucks.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ecoboost will eventually be replaced on full size trucks and go into crossovers exclusively.

Pushrod engines are back at Ford for a reason. Ecoboost is not the future on Ford trucks.

Umm, the 7.3 is available in the F350. I personally know of a guy who has one, at that.

I can't speak on the future of the ecoboom, but I'd think that it may remain an option for Mustang and half tons.

And the 6.8 WILL be in a Mustang soon. Maybe have some letters and numbers on it that say GT500....and it may well be a SS killer...oh wait. My bad..

If you've got a factual source for your claims, I'd like to see it. Wish I could post mine. They're spoken words from a guy who is on an engineering team at Ford. He posted this on some other boards.

Personally....I'd just wait and see. But speculation is fun too. :)

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

By fleet and commercial, I meant vehicles used for work. No one gets an F250 as a daily driver unless they're towing or hauling regularly. The ride is less comfortable with the higher payload. The 7.3 is in higher trims because people buying 70k trucks make money and still want to be comfortable.

The pushrod is back because the 6.2 was not strong enough, but the diesel was overkill and a very expensive upgrade. The 7.3 slots between the 6.2 and 6.7 diesel. Ford went OHV because it is cheaper and less complex. Peak performance isn't as much of a concern for commercial engines, so no need to wrong every last hp out of that displacement.

The Ecoboost has been in half tons since 2011 and Ford just doubled down by adding Powerboost. We don't see it in the Superduty because a gas turbo gets worse mpg in vehicles that operate frequently at heavy loads. Hence, we get Eco or Boost, but not both simultaneously.

For the Superduty, mpg isn't the primary concern because it will suck with a heavy load no matter what. For the 1/2 tons, Ecoboost isn't going anywhere. We'll see more electrification across the Ford product line as battery costs continue to decline.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Umm, the 7.3 is available in the F350. I personally know of a guy who has one, at that.

I can't speak on the future of the ecoboom, but I'd think that it may remain an option for Mustang and half tons.

And the 6.8 WILL be in a Mustang soon. Maybe have some letters and numbers on it that say GT500....and it may well be a SS killer...oh wait. My bad..

If you've got a factual source for your claims, I'd like to see it. Wish I could post mine. They're spoken words from a guy who is on an engineering team at Ford. He posted this on some other boards.

Personally....I'd just wait and see. But speculation is fun too. :)

Yes but in the context of this thread about Expy’s and f150’s is what my comments were aimed at. I know the f350 can be had w 7.3 gas.
In terms of the 6.8 in a mustang, we’ll see but anything definite in this thread about that is speculation mate.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
By fleet and commercial, I meant vehicles used for work. No one gets an F250 as a daily driver unless they're towing or hauling regularly. The ride is less comfortable with the higher payload. The 7.3 is in higher trims because people buying 70k trucks make money and still want to be comfortable.

The pushrod is back because the 6.2 was not strong enough, but the diesel was overkill and a very expensive upgrade. The 7.3 slots between the 6.2 and 6.7 diesel. Ford went OHV because it is cheaper and less complex. Peak performance isn't as much of a concern for commercial engines, so no need to wrong every last hp out of that displacement.

The Ecoboost has been in half tons since 2011 and Ford just doubled down by adding Powerboost. We don't see it in the Superduty because a gas turbo gets worse mpg in vehicles that operate frequently at heavy loads. Hence, we get Eco or Boost, but not both simultaneously.

For the Superduty, mpg isn't the primary concern because it will suck with a heavy load no matter what. For the 1/2 tons, Ecoboost isn't going anywhere. We'll see more electrification across the Ford product line as battery costs continue to decline.

I know plenty and see plenty of f250’s that are not “work” trucks only hauling loads. I see them and chevy and dodge 2500’s in driveways and all over the highways w premium trims shining waxed and purdy. Not working.

As far as electric trucks, sure, political pressure warrants them but see sales of electric vehicles in general. Also see torque limitations of electric motors ... ie why diesel is preferred for shipping, trucking, etc not electric. You’ll never see a space shuttle launch that’s electric.

The ecoboost was a CAFE driven product that’s run its course in truck applications.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know plenty and see plenty of f250’s that are not “work” trucks only hauling loads. I see them and chevy and dodge 2500’s in driveways and all over the highways w premium trims shining waxed and purdy. Not working.

As far as electric trucks, sure, political pressure warrants them but see sales of electric vehicles in general. Also see torque limitations of electric motors ... ie why diesel is preferred for shipping, trucking, etc not electric. You’ll never see a space shuttle launch that’s electric.

The ecoboost was a CAFE driven product that’s run its course in truck applications.

The space shuttle crawler was powered by quite a few electric traction motors to move a 4 million pound vehicle into place...seems like an electric motor should be able to move a semi just fine. Give them time to improve the technology. Diesel has a century head start.

Plenty of people drive massive fully loaded trucks to show off to their friends. I work with one of them. He even cringes at the idea of picking up groceries in his 2500 for fear something could get on the carpet.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
The space shuttle crawler was powered by quite a few electric traction motors to move a 4 million pound vehicle into place...seems like an electric motor should be able to move a semi just fine. Give them time to improve the technology. Diesel has a century head start.

Plenty of people drive massive fully loaded trucks to show off to their friends. I work with one of them. He even cringes at the idea of picking up groceries in his 2500 for fear something could get on the carpet.

Yep but electricity was discovered almost 50 years before Rudolf Diesel invented the compression ignition motor in 1892.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

CAFE is still the law of the land. Ecoboost isn't going anywhere.

Electric motors produce superior torque as compared to ICE applications and are over 90 efficient in converting energy to motion. Diesel is using for shipping and trucking due to battery constraints, not limitations of the motor. As the batteries improve, we'll seen more and more applications of electric motors, because they're just plain better. Virtually no maintenance, torque from 0 RPM, much broader power band, eliminate transmissions and shifts, etc.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I'm not saying that doesn't exist, but it's likely the minority. My father in law has a Chevy 2500 that he uses to tow his grill. He's retired and just wanted a big truck. But of the overall number sold, I'd wager that the ones not doing substantial towing or hauling are well into the minority.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not saying that doesn't exist, but it's likely the minority. My father in law has a Chevy 2500 that he uses to tow his grill. He's retired and just wanted a big truck. But of the overall number sold, I'd wager that the ones not doing substantial towing or hauling are well into the minority.

Those giant dump trucks used at mines? Diesel-electric, traction motors..