Would be nice to see this in a 2022 Expedition for the ones who would like a V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my 2015 Expy Max/EL... 90k miles on it so far, Ecoboost engine. I get around 20mpg on the road, 18 towing a 6k trailer.

But I'd REALLY like a body on frame Expy, with a diesel engine...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my 2015 Expy Max/EL... 90k miles on it so far, Ecoboost engine. I get around 20mpg on the road, 18 towing a 6k trailer.

But I'd REALLY like a body on frame Expy, with a diesel engine...

So basically you want the Excursion 7.3 back. I'm honestly surprised Ford hasn't brought them back yet. There are many people clamoring for improved payload in an SUV, especially with RV sales being up due to Covid. The 7.3 gas and 6.7 would both be viable engine options, especially a 7.3 with Powerboost since it can provide power without a shore connection.

The Expedition IS Body on Frame. The body is bolted to a modified F150 frame. But Ford's 3.0 diesel is much weaker than the 3.5 Turbo. The 6.7 would be overkill, with all the additional weight up front. The only benefit of a diesel would be improved mpg, but it wouldn't be enough to make up the cost difference within a reasonable period of time. For more power, the existing 3.5 block supposedly is good up to like 600hp.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
oh oh....diesel vs gas....lets not go there. Diesel has already won that argument in the truck, shipping, yachting world. Perhaps not for soccer mom wagons though, but if youre hauling loads...or need highway mpg you can't beat diesel. They are ruining diesel motors with all the emissions add ons for sure.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The modern gas V8 are pretty darn good in the trucks. The diesel for sure has benefits of towing efficiency and torque, but for most jobs even the gas engines are overkill.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh oh....diesel vs gas....lets not go there. Diesel has already won that argument in the truck, shipping, yachting world. Perhaps not for soccer mom wagons though, but if youre hauling loads...or need highway mpg you can't beat diesel. They are ruining diesel motors with all the emissions add ons for sure.

As I said, Ford came out with the 7.3 gas because the diesel is overkill in many applications. The 7.3 is rated to tow up to 15K. I wouldn't want to be at max all the time, but from all accounts it's a great engine in the 10 to 15K space. The 6.7 diesel is a 10K upcharge. With the higher cost of diesel, it takes a long time to make up the difference at the pump. Resale is higher, surely, but so are potential maintenance and repair expenses. And I'd rather not choke on NOx and diesel particulates, thanks. Emissions controls FTW. I lived in the San Joaquin Valley for two years. The air was so filthy coming down the Grapevine that you could see the layer of smog and dust as you descended into the valley. It was disgusting, appalling, and saddening, at the same time.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ummm...what about locomotives.

They're electric, of course diesel engines run the generators (or alternators, not sure if the electric motors are AC or DC in that application..)...

And they move far heavier loads than any other vehicle, that I can think of..

Alex Taylor

Reaction score
Yes would love a v8 option in the Expedition. I plan on tuning mine soon to get it to 500 HP, 570 tq. but still prefer V8's despite the great motor that is the 3.5L Ecoboost.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Ummm...what about locomotives.

They're electric, of course diesel engines run the generators (or alternators, not sure if the electric motors are AC or DC in that application..)...

And they move far heavier loads than any other vehicle, that I can think of..

There’s a reason Ford has gone back to v8 pushrod gas engines in their trucks. Also note they went big displacement on both 6.8 and 7.3. These aren’t tweeny v6’s nor small v8 like the 5-oh for that matter.

Those v6 ecoboost models are going to drop in value soon as that f150 features the 6.8.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So basically you want the Excursion 7.3 back..

It's got me wanting to find an '05 Excursion with the V10, and just garage it till the 7.3 can be found in a wrecked Super Duty.

I think you know where I'm going here...

Physically, the 7.3 gas engine will bolt in place of the V10, a 5.4, 4.6, or pretty much any variation of the Modular engines. So I was told.

We shall see....

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
It's got me wanting to find an '05 Excursion with the V10, and just garage it till the 7.3 can be found in a wrecked Super Duty.

I think you know where I'm going here...

Physically, the 7.3 gas engine will bolt in place of the V10, a 5.4, 4.6, or pretty much any variation of the Modular engines. So I was told.

We shall see....

Who would buy a new Excursion w a 7.3 Godzilla???

...besides me:anitoof:

I’d run to the front of that line.