04 EB electrical issue-delayed acc relay issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK-fuses 1, 15, 21, 102 all had the proper voltage. Fuse #7 has nothing. I took out the fuse, it looked OK but I swapped it for a new one and still nothing. The spot where the fuse plugs in didn't have any reading either. Also while testing fuses with the multimeter, I noticed fuse #8 has no power (fuse OK) and also relay 4 has no power. I see they are related according to the manual. I'm not positive the heated mirrors and rear defrost worked before as I didn't drive this vehicle that much last winter and just bought it prior to last winter. So that problem may be unrelated, but I would like to fix it while I am getting some good advice!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK fuse #7 will only have power when the key is in the start position
Fuse #8 will only have power when the rear window defrost relay is energized.

Go back and read what I posted about a fused jumper for pins 30 and 87 Put the jumper in and see if you get power to fuse 22

Attached prints are for an 03 expy but they are the same for your 04 model

Attachments

• 13-11.pdf
    21 KB · Views: 12
  • 13-12.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK fuse #7 will only have power when the key is in the start position
Fuse #8 will only have power when the rear window defrost relay is energized.

Go back and read what I posted about a fused jumper for pins 30 and 87 Piy the jumper in and see if you get power to fuse 22

Attached prints are for an 03 expy but they are the same for your 04 model

OK-thanks. I’m going out to to do that right now!

I will have a look at the prints also. I appreciate this immensely.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK-put the jumper (with a fuse like you said) on 30 and 87. No key in the ignition, radio came on, fuse 22 had proper voltage.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem has something to do with the instrument cluster.

Look at the prints on page 13-11 upper left hand side You will see the delay relay

you have power on pins 86 and 30

Look at the relay pin 85 goes to the instrument cluster and when the engine is started that circuit completes and energizes the delay relay coil this in turns closes the contacts between pins 30 and 87 which provides power to fuse 401 and fuse 22 on page 13-12

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't take my last post the wrong way. What I am saying is the problem has something to do with the circuit in the instrument panel What you may have to do next is pull the instrument cluster so you can get to the connectors and check to see if you have voltage where it need to be. I'll look at the prints and get back to you

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you look at the relay the coil is across pins 86 and 85 The coil requires 12 volts to work Pin 86 is the positive side of the coil pin 85 is the ground side that is the 12 volts

In this case pin 85 goes to the instrument cluster and a circuit in the cluster must close to provide the ground circuit something in the cluster is preventing that circuit to close.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In your first post you stated

"What doesn't work: electric windows, gauges (instrument lights do work), radio, interior lights, vanity light, under hood light, moon roof, vent windows, automatic headlights, 4wd indicator"

Put the fused jumper back in the delay relay and give me an update as to what still isn't working

Thanks