2nd alt 12v hookup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, I know what is entailed with adding a second alt. Going by his "Mr. 10K", the load on the system when they hit is huge.

P=IxE - where P is watts, I is current(amps) and E is volts

10,000 watts / 12 volts = 833amps

He is going to need a very large battery bank of deep cycle batteries if he wants them to life for any length of time.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I highly doubt he's aiming for 10k watts, at that rate he'll need at least 6-8 batteries, at least 400 amps To charge and even by then the truck will only last a few months before it falls apart due to all the loose screws and bolts from the vibration not forgetting about all the glass shattered

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about running a setup like the campers have with a large second deep cycle battery, and the switching, so one alternator can charge both. I've seen humongous deep cycle batteries at interstate, but most guys manually charge them when they run down, after a competition. How would you drive the belt habbibie is referring. Maybe you can find a 12 volt motor and use a pulley like oreillys does to test alternators. Theirs obviously is 120 volt. Dumb question, is it your personal expedition it's going in.what year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If his sig is correct and he is using 8 of these amps:

Features:
  • Massive Audio NX4 Nano Block Series 4-Channel Car Amplifier
  • RMS Power Rating (14.4V):
    • 4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
    • 2 ohms: 200 watts x 4 chan.

At max it would they would be @12,800 watts. That little alternator in the pic is funny for this application.

One option would be to add a 24 volt battery bank (2-12v 8D batteries in series), 24 volt alternator and pull 12 volts out of it for vehicle operation.

Check these specs & prices at the bottom:
http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/altspec2.shtml#Top

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But he wants to drive with 12,800 watts, his ear drums blow out at 10k, just like his handle. Man I used to think 500 watts total was loud. Probably explains what happened to my right ear. Loud cars and motorcycles didn't help. 24 volts eh! Maybe a cummins alternator will bolt up to a 1st/2nd gen alternator mounting. 10k is either laughing or steaming right now!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know, I once sat in a car back in the 80's that had 2 15 inch woofers, and speakers and huge amps for front and rear. It was just too much. I've always been an audiophile with both car and home stereo. I've always liked my stereo to sound good in the car, not 30 ft away. But that's just me. These days, I'm happy with the mach stereo, that came with my expedition. I got tired of yanking the mcintosh amps and speakers, out every time I sold my car.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The voltage regulator inside your 2nd alternator must be connected to the battery or battery bank you will run the amps off of. This way the vr will know when to turn on and charge the battery(s).

All you need to do is wire just like primary alternator but using separate circuitry. The only common connection will be the ground unless you want to run an isolated ground which will be a little more involved, but can be done.

What is the 2nd alt rating? What is the total wattage of the amps?
Thx...probably what was trying to be told to me earlier and I wasn't getting it...if so...my bad...2nd alt is 300a...somehow that made since...lol

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stamp there's so much work involved with adding a second pulley driven component. Find a spot for it along the belt, make a bracket to hold it in place while maintaing proper alignment. Then wiring the entire new system in series with the existing alternator. There is higher amprage alternators on the market, one of the 2nd gen expy's at my company has a 200A alternator.
I don't have a stock alt in stock location anyway..I'm running a 300a alt for truck...adding another 300a for system which I already have bracket and parts in hand so finding where to put it...belt...pulley...all that is already taken care of...

Mr. 10K