Anti-Theft System ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
I think you hit it right on the head. I sprayed electrical cleaner on both connections of the cam shaft sensor and put dielectric grease on it to be sure I was getting good connections. I then started pulling relays in the battery junction box and testing them again. Any of them that did not read 0 on ohms immediately I replaced. I also put a little dielectric grease on them as well.

While I was at the junk yard I pulled as many ford relays as I could find to see if that was the issue. Yes, I did bench test each and every one of them. Any of them that did not read 0 ohms immediately I will not use.

Now I only have to wait until the ABS system cycles through for it to start (about 5 seconds or so).

Question: Does this mean some of the relays have built up some kind of resistance or what? I may just go buy some relays. But you know they can be bad even when they are new. Still testing...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Zero resistance is "bad" = unlimited current flow until things heat up / burn up. You want to see a little resistance but not in the kilo ohms.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
Been sick all week but plan on getting back on this issue. Still not starting until after the ABS system cycles. You can hear the ABS system come on. Wondering if there is an issue with it being loud enough to hear in the drivers seat. I do not remember it being that way before I fixed it. But then again it has been a few years since I have driven it. The family has had it for a while.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
Still have not traced the issue of crank but no start without waiting. Neighbor said he would bring his diagnostic computer home to check it for me. Still waiting.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
Well, still nothing found on why the expy is having a hard time starting. Now it is getting worst. Fuel pump still okay.

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
UPDATE: I have narrowed the issue of having to wait 15 seconds to start the expy down to the ignition switch.

Recall all the diagnostic checks I have already preformed (Removing and cleaning throttle body, EGR cleaning, new PCV valve and hose, COP checked, spark plugs checked, Cam sensor, Crank sensor, checking injectors, checking fuel pump, PSI at fuel rail, checked fuel regulator, all fuse and relays checked, wiring checked, grounds checked) and still nothing found until today...

I have pulled the ignition switch and noticed when I put the key into the key cylinder the two contact points do not make contact once the key is inserted. I bent the two contacts so they make contact once the key is inserted.

Now when I push the key in and hold it while turning the ignition switch it starts. Not sure why but I am wondering if there is another component like a rod or something that is not functioning properly in the steering column.

Let me know what you think.

vagohispano

Reaction score
fuel pump

I used to have the same problem and the only thing that fixed my star problem was change out the fuel pump now my expedition work 100%

OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
That is not it. The pump is good. 44 PSI. Took it to the Dealer here in Monroe LA. They tried to tell me it was the Crank sensor. I told them it was new. They said, Oh let me check something else. Now they say its the Power Control Module (PCM) and will cost 900+.I asked what checks did you do to make sure. UH..... I think they are trying to throw things at it to pay for their new building. They cannot give me a straight answer. Now I know their reps are not mechanics. I was pissed when they told me it would be $300 to replace a crank sensor. I told them it is a 30 minute job and I am the one who replace the old one in 30 minutes. They told me they had to go by some labor guide. BS Who do I report them to. They cant even do a proper diagnostic test to tell me why the expy will not start now.

Recall, it use to take 15 second and then it would start right up. I played with the ignition cylinder and it started right up one time. I told them I thought it was in the ignition system. Even told them everything I did and replaced. They are clueless...

Last edited:
OP
OP

44Steel

Reaction score
Okay, really need help. I picked up my expy from the ford dealership because they were trying to rip me off. They wanted $900 to replace the PCM. The part is obsolete through Ford and they were trying to charge me $592 for a $134 aftermarket part and then 3 hours labor for a 30 minute job. Initially they said Crank sensor until I told them it was new. This is what they wrote on the ticket after I made the re-diagnose the problem.
Ignition and Injector driver failure in PCM-CKP sensor
SOR reading will need to be taken after replacement
Also need 2 keys to program
I told them I wanted a printout of the work and the diagnostic readout. They told me they cannot print that out... Since when... Do not take you vehicle to Hixson Ford in Monroe Louisiana... They will rip you off just to pay for their new facility...
Can someone tell me anything positive?