Lift and tires. Need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gus Fuller

Reaction score

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey, Adieu.

I understand your sentiment, but I think it is pretty irresponsible of our federal/state/local governments to not regulate the safety of a few $multi-billion(?) industry.

Check out this link and tell me what you think.

https://www.sema.org/federal-regulation-aftermarket-parts

Thanks, Andy. I live in Los Angeles and the authorities don't seem too concerned about stuff like that. I do plan on installing mud flaps soon, though, since it's going to start raining in a couple of months.

Thats for emissions and compliance to existing laws about lights and tire labelling and whatnot.

NOBODY regulated shocks, struts, springs, etc.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's blowing smoke up your butt. Car manufacturers will never "recommend" something not manufactured by them.

And when they tell you that, it doens't mean it'll screw up your car. It means "order it from me so I can make a buck". I'd go back and play the straight man to his response.

Question #1: "Really? Which sensors?"
Question #2: "How does Fords' product not cause the same damage or interference?"
Question #3: "If I buy Fords' chains and they damage my car, is that covered under warranty?"

A properly installed, quality tire chain will not damage or interfere with your "sensors". If they are too slack, you can start slapping your fenders with them, but that would be your fault, right?

Its CYA legalese which boils down to "we cannot guarantee that rando addons by companies unknown to and not approved by us wont cause rando weirdness, so our official policy is to never recommend anything except our own stuff"

Gus Fuller

Reaction score
Thats for emissions and compliance to existing laws about lights and tire labelling and whatnot.

NOBODY regulated shocks, struts, springs, etc.

This conversation has been eye opening! It speaks again for my inexperience... I guess all that's left for me to do until I am ready to go for a custom lift is to drive carefully and hope ReadyLift honors its warranty, which is similar to what you get with ProComp and Rough Country suspension lift systems.

Thanks for your input, Adieu.

Gus Fuller

Reaction score
I like the the look but I don't want to take the hit in MPG if you know what I mean. :(

I completely understand, but it was pretty easy for me to justify the larger tires once I actually looked at the cost of gas.

We will probably only drive the truck 8500 miles a year, at the very most and that includes short summer/winter road trips. Average 87 gas is around $3.00 around here (it has actually been a lot less, but regular is creeping up to around $2.90 right now). At 16.5 MPG, cost of gas a year would be around $1550 a year [(8500 mi/16.5 MPG)*$3.00 per Gal]... 14 MPG will be around $1850 a year [(8500 mi/14 MPG)*$3.00 per Gal]. The extra $300 over the course of a year is less than $30 a month. People tend to pay more for things they think look cool, even if those things aren't quite the best people can get. That has been the marketing model for Apple for a few years now, and they are doing just fine. And besides, I can just cut back on Starbucks to cover the extra gas...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely understand, but it was pretty easy for me to justify the larger tires once I actually looked at the cost of gas.

We will probably only drive the truck 8500 miles a year, at the very most and that includes short summer/winter road trips. Average 87 gas is around $3.00 around here (it has actually been a lot less, but regular is creeping up to around $2.90 right now). At 16.5 MPG, cost of gas a year would be around $1550 a year [(8500 mi/16.5 MPG)*$3.00 per Gal]... 14 MPG will be around $1850 a year [(8500 mi/14 MPG)*$3.00 per Gal]. The extra $300 over the course of a year is less than $30 a month. People tend to pay more for things they think look cool, even if those things aren't quite the best people can get. That has been the marketing model for Apple for a few years now, and they are doing just fine. And besides, I can just cut back on Starbucks to cover the extra gas...
Gus that is a great point. I've had mine since February 20th I have 4941.5 on mine right now. I'll probably put another 2K on it before February so that makes it about 7000 miles per year. I am seriously considering the 3/2 easy lift I think it's called. I ,might do that and run stock tires until I wear them out. I like sitting up higher and I like the idea of having extra ground clearance for snowy weather.