Price check - 2001 4x4 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't take long, guys, before I tore into it / started ordering parts. I've had for less than 48 hours :buttkick: Somebody kick me.

Ordered:
  • Husky front and rear floor mats (and rear cargo area)
  • New headlights (old ones were yellowed)
  • Getting ready to order Moog tie rod ends, front sway bar links (mine are shot) and shocks. Trying to figure out whether to go with Bilstein ($$) or a cheaper Monroe. Let me know what you guys have done
Projects complete:
  • Odometer fix complete this morning
  • Washed and somewhat detailed the engine compartment -- more to do, here
  • Sanded down the surface rust on the frame in the front wheel wells and suspension, shot with PPG epoxy primer and then hit with a cast colored paint
Projects in the coming weeks:
  • Replace shocks - any recommendations?
  • Replace tie rod ends and front swaybar links
  • Have the front end aligned
  • Spray the front mesh grill, install the new headlights and put the chrome grill back on (this morning I pulled the front grille chrome and grill (to remove the headlights) and prepped the grill (mesh) for paint this week)

Attachments

• IMAG0583.jpg
    IMAG0583.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20120034.jpg
    20120034.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20120039.jpg
    20120039.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20120048.jpg
    20120048.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20120052.jpg
    20120052.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to report back on things.
  • It has an open rear end. Bummer! Weighing my options on whether to spring for the traction lock (trac-lok) differential. Replacing it requires you need to also replace the differential carrier bearings and races and need shim kit. So the money for this swap, if I go retail for the carrier, the bearing/install kit and the install cost could be $1000...which isn't worth it to me. My other option is to do it on the cheap with the help of a friend using all used components. Here is the thread I started on this: http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/traction-lok-application-question-17657/
  • New headlamps and reshot the grill: I replaced the OEM plastic headlights with a pair I found on e-bay for $35 shipped. They came with new bulbs, too! This was somewhat of a PITA, replacing these, as the "sliding brackets" that you need to slide to pull the headlights out were kinda "dirt rusted" to where they wouldn't move. I ended up pulling the grille out and reshooting the center grill plastic --- looks awesome now --- and the turn signal bezels to get the headlights out. My two hints on the headlight replacement are these: (1) put axle grease on the little rubber "nubs/nibs/ends" that press into those sliding brackets, to keep them from "seizing" in place when you remove the headlight for adjustment (2) lube the locking brackets so they slide up and down easier (3) make sure you orient the headlight bulb in the right direction! I had mine upsideown and couldn't figure out why my bright lights were weaker than the standard HD setting.
  • Removed the wiper arms (front and rear) and the plastic trim that goes under the windshield and reshot them gloss black and semi-flat black respectively.
Will eventually prep and reshoot the outside front mirrors to freshen them up and remove and paint the wheel well faded black plastic. Hope to have some pix soon for you guys. This has been a lot of fun and I am enjoying using my classic mustang restoration skills to freshen up the Expedition. :buttkick: Somebody kick me for being an idiot...