Thinking of buying a 2003 Eddie Bauer, anything I should watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  1. My 2003 eats bearings. Drivers front replaced twice, other wheels have been replaced once each. That's the biggest PITA with the truck. Listen for wheel noise on your test drive. Usually the wheel sensor fails causing AdvanceTrac issues prior.
  2. I had a parasitic power draw. I had a new battery drain nightly. Found the rear windshield wiper wasn't moving. The motor was trying to cycle the wiper but couldn't move it. Had to take it all apart and grease it.
  3. The sensor to the passenger front door intermittently would show "door ajar." Lights would on and truck would start beeping while in motion. The sensor was $46 to replace, so I unplugged the sensor and put a jump wire in the plug to save money.
  4. The differential started leaking. Was quoted $100, but it turned into $1000 because they couldn't get the plate off with cross members. They removed the axle. Issue was 1 week before camping trip so had it just get it fixed.
  5. Rear brake lines went during differential service. Was part of the $1000 in repairs. Autozone sells this copper tubing for brake lines that is bendable. Much like copper tubing for a refrigerator's ice maker line. I won't have brake lines professionally done again because it is really easy to work with.
  6. The exhaust was done. $700 in parts from tail pipe to manifold. Another $400 installation with a broken oxygen sensor.
  7. Steering pump was cutting out for a few months. The problem "went away" for the most part. It occasionally resurfaces if turning a lot to the left and right.
  8. Coils went. It chugged a lot around 55 mph or slowing down from highway speed. Autozone wanted $200 for 8. Amazon had a set of 8 for $35. They work just as fine. I have a large camper and a boat. No issues in the last year and a half.
  9. Paint issues. I have a lot the flecked off the plastic covers on the bottom of the doors. My brother's 2003 EB had the same issue. He got his touched up. I have a few rust spots.
  10. Wiper transmission went. Only driver's wiper was working. I replaced it with one out of a junk yard.

I think that's just about it. I've done normal stuff like plugs and fluids. Mine is a 2003 XLT with 152k. Despite the list of issues I've had so far, it still drives very nice and I plan on keeping it awhile longer.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice! Are those stock, then? I was wondering earlier if those had been on it since it was made, or if they had been added later on. How effective exactly are hood deflectors, anyway? Bugs aern't really a thing up here so I doubt it would be all that useful, but I'll keep it anyway, and I love those window overhangs because I can have the windows open in the rain :)

They were added later.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  1. My 2003 eats bearings. Drivers front replaced twice, other wheels have been replaced once each. That's the biggest PITA with the truck. Listen for wheel noise on your test drive. Usually the wheel sensor fails causing AdvanceTrac issues prior.
  2. I had a parasitic power draw. I had a new battery drain nightly. Found the rear windshield wiper wasn't moving. The motor was trying to cycle the wiper but couldn't move it. Had to take it all apart and grease it.
  3. The sensor to the passenger front door intermittently would show "door ajar." Lights would on and truck would start beeping while in motion. The sensor was $46 to replace, so I unplugged the sensor and put a jump wire in the plug to save money.
  4. The differential started leaking. Was quoted $100, but it turned into $1000 because they couldn't get the plate off with cross members. They removed the axle. Issue was 1 week before camping trip so had it just get it fixed.
  5. Rear brake lines went during differential service. Was part of the $1000 in repairs. Autozone sells this copper tubing for brake lines that is bendable. Much like copper tubing for a refrigerator's ice maker line. I won't have brake lines professionally done again because it is really easy to work with.
  6. The exhaust was done. $700 in parts from tail pipe to manifold. Another $400 installation with a broken oxygen sensor.
  7. Steering pump was cutting out for a few months. The problem "went away" for the most part. It occasionally resurfaces if turning a lot to the left and right.
  8. Coils went. It chugged a lot around 55 mph or slowing down from highway speed. Autozone wanted $200 for 8. Amazon had a set of 8 for $35. They work just as fine. I have a large camper and a boat. No issues in the last year and a half.
  9. Paint issues. I have a lot the flecked off the plastic covers on the bottom of the doors. My brother's 2003 EB had the same issue. He got his touched up. I have a few rust spots.
  10. Wiper transmission went. Only driver's wiper was working. I replaced it with one out of a junk yard.
I think that's just about it. I've done normal stuff like plugs and fluids. Mine is a 2003 XLT with 152k. Despite the list of issues I've had so far, it still drives very nice and I plan on keeping it awhile longer.

Oh lord I killed the battery on the dealership expedition! D:

The rear wiper didn't work, I tried turning it on a few times, and the next time I went to test drive it, it was dead! (which means I have yet to actually test drive the darn thing) Oooh boy... it's one of the things I told them to fix though, so they should uh, cover it.

----------

Anyway, about the other stuff, this is useful to know! I'll keep an eye on all of those things... I live out here in salty, salty maryland, do you guys have any important rust-related advice for me next winter? As of now, I just try to take my car to a carwash at least once a month.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prince, I know you like that Suv. But with all those issues, dead battery, switches not working, any Dealer or used lot offering a vehicle with multiple issues, and not repairing them before putting it up for sale is a red flag to me. I'd really keep looking for a better example. You could always buy a $500.00 clunker to give you wheels in the meantime , if you need wheels for now. They make over 200,000 expeditions each year, so their not rare!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prince, I know you like that Suv. But with all those issues, dead battery, switches not working, any Dealer or used lot offering a vehicle with multiple issues, and not repairing them before putting it up for sale is a red flag to me. I'd really keep looking for a better example. You could always buy a $500.00 clunker to give you wheels in the meantime , if you need wheels for now. They make over 200,000 expeditions each year, so their not rare!

Well, according to CaptOchs, the rear wiper is what killed the battery. And the only other problems were an intermittent control knob for the power drivers' seat and a very intermittent control knob for the mirrors. I've mostly been fretting about potential problems this whole time... they had the expedition maryland inspected and it passed, which is something mine didn't manage to do when I got it >_<

And, yet another question.... my explorer came with a remote that has a lock, unlock, alarm, and rear hatch button, however the rear hatch button didn't do anything so I replaced it with two off of ebay that just have lock/unlock/alarm. Supposedly, the blue rear hatch button does do something on the expedition, so should I keep the four-button remote and leave the three-button ones with my old explorer?

Edit: I just took apart the three-button remotes and the motherboards in them have five switches! They must be able to work on either or, depending on the case they have.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You I/T guys love tinkering, well at least your not like the pipe smoking engineer, always wants to micrometer everything!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on the price as it’s an 03 try to get it down to 4 grand. Doesn’t mean it’s not a good truck but it’s not worth that much. Use the wiper to your advantage and small issues to your advantage and beat him up on price. Realize you are in control at any auto dealer not them and if they don’t play by your rules you walk. Rule 1 here is do NOT feel guilty about your trade in, they know it’s a 98 explorer and it’s potential problems. That being said get every dollar you can for it and knock the expy down as much as you can. Never feel guilty it’s strictly business and you want the best bang for your buck.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really like the truck and can verify it’s in sound mechanical condition walk in with a cashiers check for $3,500-4 and tell them to take it or leave it. You can always sell your 98 separately, or if you want it traded in lowball them even more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You I/T guys love tinkering, well at least your not like the pipe smoking engineer, always wants to micrometer everything!

Yes! :D Boy, I'll spend hours hunting down old forum posts, trying all kinds of weird stuff, and who knows what else to fix even the smallest of problems on computers, and I suppose it transfers to my cars, except fixing every little thing on a vehicle is a bit harder... for example, the wipers on my explorer? the passenger one is loose, so if the windsheild is dry, it won't go down all the way. It's barely a problem in any way, yet boy does it bother me.

I agree on the price as it’s an 03 try to get it down to 4 grand. Doesn’t mean it’s not a good truck but it’s not worth that much. Use the wiper to your advantage and small issues to your advantage and beat him up on price. Realize you are in control at any auto dealer not them and if they don’t play by your rules you walk. Rule 1 here is do NOT feel guilty about your trade in, they will know why they are getting into and get the most you can for it.

Well, I'm not sure, for a private buyer, that might be right, but Kellybluebook (I think I posted a screenshot) says that the price they're asking is smack dab in the middle of what's recommended. I mean, I've certainly suggested we try to talk them down!

I agree on the price as it’s an 03 try to get it down to 4 grand. Doesn’t mean it’s not a good truck but it’s not worth that much. Use the wiper to your advantage and small issues to your advantage and beat him up on price. Realize you are in control at any auto dealer not them and if they don’t play by your rules you walk. Rule 1 here is do NOT feel guilty about your trade in, they know it’s a 98 explorer and it’s potential problems. That being said get every dollar you can for it and knock the expy down as much as you can. Never feel guilty it’s strictly business and you want the best bang for your buck.

Yeah, that's why I myself couldn't do it, I just... the whole Aspergers, ADHD, so on, I don't have the... finesse? Yeah, basically, I couldn't do that, I'm relying on my more-experienced family to do it for me, it's hard to explain but I guess I'm too nice, I'd feel bad for asking them to lower it? Or maybe I'm just too anxious, I have no idea.

Man, I hope I find ADHD meds that actually help sooner rather than later!

Last edited: