Thinking of picking this up...thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks good. but dont rely on car fax alone. friend bought a car from a place called carmax and it had a clean carfax. he took it into the dealer for some work a few years later and the dealer ran history on the car and it wasn't as trouble free as he thought. apparently it had several transmissions put in it before he got it.

Also, if the car is for sale very soon after an accident, it won't show up on Carfax either. It takes a while for the incident to appear on the report. We purchased a 2 yr old BMW with a clean carfax, and a few years later had some body work done to it. It showed an accident about a month before we bought the car. So someone quickly repaired it and sold it as fast as they could. Still a great car for the 6 yrs we had it, but you just never can be sure, or rely on the carfax.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a guy selling this locally and it looks like it's in good shape. He's asking $7,950 for it, which seems like a good price for a 2004 EB with 4WD and 130k miles. Just looking for some advice before I make a decision. I've got a Gen1 EB now with 200k on it, but would like something a little newer. TIA

Matt

Check out my photos!

Fwiw, I paid $5100 for my 04 EB with 93k about 6 months ago. If you're happy with it at that price, go for it, but keep in mind that it is it buyer's market for less than fuel-efficient vehicles....

OP
OP
M

mpsjr

Reaction score
The interior was toast. Exterior was in good shape, but it looked like someone had turned 20 kids loose on the inside with orange soda, scissors and a pack of sharpies. Someone had actually painted the lighter sections in the middle seats to hide the stains. No kidding; they literally spray painted the leather. I would've had to swap the interior for something else. There was no salvaging any of it.

BTW, if you paid $5,100 for an '04 EB with only 93k on it, you got a great deal. The bank loan value on that is over $10,000. In fact, I looked at an '04 EB with 83k on it this past Saturday, and they were firm on the price at $10,900.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In this market, a private party has a hard time asking close to bank loan amount for a gas hog. They are "soft" right now, meaning it is difficult for a dealer to even get wholesale value at the auction, let alone profit, hence the low trade in offers, generally speaking. For me, I needed a tow vehicle and not a pickup, and was replacing a Cherokee, so the gas drop was not as drastic for me as for some.

My truck was not perfect, and the interior needed some attention. I did a full king ranch conversion (http://www.expeditionforum.com/f43/interior-swap-04-eddie-bauer-05-king-ranch-17952/) and upgraded the steering wheel and dash pull while I was at it.