Towing & mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
as the title states, how much are you guys towing and what are you getting for mpg's in return?

I'm trying to see if I'm ok or on the low side of what's my mpg's have been reflecting towing a 6100-6400 lbs GTW enclosed trailer with 8 people on board
(trailer is V-nose, tandem axle, tongue weight 610 lbs. my Expy has HD tow w/ class 4 hitch, stock suspension & AT tires)

This week I've averaged an amazing 4.7-4.8 mpg (165 miles to 34.5 gallons)
The drive was on flat landscape not much climbing other than the occasional bridge ramp. 60% highway @ 60mph, 20% city at varying speeds & 20% dirt/mud trail 10-20 mph with occasional 4x4 use due to trailer axles sinking in mud. 3 hour total stand by time in idle running engine to power up 10,000 watt inverter after generator failed at job site.

With the same trailer minus the 7 additional passengers I constantly average 7-8 mpg and 12-13 mpg with no trailer & no crew.

Trying to be as most informing as I can be, expy is 2005 XLT with 127k.

Please share with the rest to help accommodate an "average" on what mpg's to expect pending what load is towed.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get 6 mpg towing a 6000 lb travel trailer and 8 mpg towing a 6000 lb boat. Your numbers sound right on the number.
brick

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What was the weather like? Windy? Cross wind? Head wind?

I'd say your numbers are about right. That was a LOT of weight. And the idling is obviously 0 MPG and probably burned .25-.5 gallons per hour idling.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I think those MPG numbers are the pits.

I haven't measured the MPG's when towing But on my 04, 5.4 with 3.73 I average around 14-15 MPG and on the open road I am Getting between 19-21 MPG's

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ok good I really thought I was in the deep end of where my mpg's should be at, it's a relief knowing I'm not the only one.

Bedrck I've never seen over 14 mpg in this truck but I also do tend to be a little heavy footed constantly.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At my next fill up on Friday I will give you a more accurate reading.
The figures that I posted are from what the message centers shows.
However I do expect the figures will go down somewhat when the colder weather gets here

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well went and filled up today 276 miles 18 gal that's 15.333 MPG's
half of that was open road and the other half around town

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mpg values are all over the map on these things it seems. I think people have bad O2 sensors or timing or something and never look into it.

When I got my Expedition last summer I was getting numbers like Bedrck47 posted above (18-21 mi/gal(U.S.) on the open highway). My truck has been down all summer/fall so I don't have current numbers.

In my experience these trucks get what Ford said they were capable of getting when new.

For towing a large trailer I'd expect ~10mpg depending on the aero drag of what is being towed.

stimpson.j.cat

Reaction score
Less than 5 mph pulling 6400 lbs is crap-tacular but not surprising, especially if the trailer is not aerodynamic.

I get 10-11 mpg when towing a boat on vacation from VA to the FL Keys/Panhandle:
  • ~ 2800 lbs - a 1720 key west boat w/ 90 hp yamaha 2-stroke + trailer plus 1/2 tank of fuel (15 gall = 93 lbs)
  • plus spare tire, tools, fishing gear, several cases of beer and some wine
  • 2 kayaks on top (10 and 12 ft tarpons) and 1 heavy-ass beach cruiser (my guess is that the kayaks significantly reduce mileage but have never done a fair test)
  • 2 adults w/ more assorted vacation gear
  • 2 dogs (~ 24 and 42 lbs, resp.) and their gear
Guessing Total Weight (pic attached although this time we had a rocket box instead of 2nd kayak):
  • 6,800 - Expedition+passengers+gear
  • 2,800 - Boat+Trailer+more gear
  • 9,600 - total
expy-small.jpg

06 expedition
  • ~ 130K miles, major maintenance @ 100K including plugs (ouch!)
  • towing package, 3.73 rear, 5.4l,
  • usually doing 70-78 mph depending upon traffic and hills. I would go slower but oftentimes that will get you run over on the major highways down the eastern seaboard.

Normally get 13 mpg daily commute (2 smallish mountains to go over) and 16-17 highway.

The mileage on the new ecoboosts (esp. unloaded) sound great. Just can't afford a new one now and no need yet :)

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Less than 5 mph pulling 6400 lbs is crap-tacular but not surprising, especially if the trailer is not aerodynamic.

I get 10-11 mpg when towing a boat on vacation from VA to the FL Keys/Panhandle:
  • ~ 2800 lbs - a 1720 key west boat w/ 90 hp yamaha 2-stroke + trailer plus 1/2 tank of fuel (15 gall = 93 lbs)
  • plus spare tire, tools, fishing gear, several cases of beer and some wine
  • 2 kayaks on top (10 and 12 ft tarpons) and 1 heavy-ass beach cruiser (my guess is that the kayaks significantly reduce mileage but have never done a fair test)
  • 2 adults w/ more assorted vacation gear
  • 2 dogs (~ 24 and 42 lbs, resp.) and their gear
Guessing Total Weight (pic attached although this time we had a rocket box instead of 2nd kayak):
  • 6,800 - Expedition+passengers+gear
  • 2,800 - Boat+Trailer+more gear
  • 9,600 - total
View attachment 18219

06 expedition
  • ~ 130K miles, major maintenance @ 100K including plugs (ouch!)
  • towing package, 3.73 rear, 5.4l,
  • usually doing 70-78 mph depending upon traffic and hills. I would go slower but oftentimes that will get you run over on the major highways down the eastern seaboard.

Normally get 13 mpg daily commute (2 smallish mountains to go over) and 16-17 highway.

The mileage on the new ecoboosts (esp. unloaded) sound great. Just can't afford a new one now and no need yet :)

Just curious but what is the speed rating on the trailers tires??