What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It says 912 in the owner's manual. It is just one one of those two pronged push in lamps. I'm going to use one of the same ones I used for the interior lamps.

I'm not sure what the puddle lamps use on the 17; they used the 912 or 921 on the 05 Expedition.

The license plate lamos are the same as the ones used in the interior.

The puddle lights are a whole different beast. The bulb is sealed in the housing, the housing has to be seperated or cut apart and then wire in an led bulb. I purchased (for alot of money) an aftermarket set that are stock housing that someone else cut apart and added LED bulbs to. In hindsight, I would have done it myself with better LEDs for substantially less money.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the right side there is a plastic tab that you push with your screwdriver to release the license plate light fixture so you can change the bulbs.
View attachment 19877
In this picture you can see the notch where the tab is supposed to be and you can see on the right side the remainder of the tab anchor point.
View attachment 19878

Unless they changed it since 09, thatscrew looking thing is actually a disposable push fastener, you needa pry toolto yank it and then a vinyl prybar to remove the plate light

No screwdrivers, that would break stuff

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy whats the part number for the license plate bulbs? Did you change your puddle lights under the exterior mirrors to? If so what bulb is that?

I'm looking to swap the exterior for LEDS. Not really worried about the interior

Interior front and midrow and license plate lights can all be swapped for like 12 bucks total

Search for JDM Astar 10 pcs Super Bright 194 168 175 2825 T10 PX
On amazon

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got all my new brakes on from R1 Conepts, stop very very well with the 35s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless they changed it since 09, thatscrew looking thing is actually a disposable push fastener, you needa pry toolto yank it and then a vinyl prybar to remove the plate light

No screwdrivers, that would break stuff
There is a little plastic clip that you use a small screw driver to push to the left and the whole assembly drops down. The socket just twists in and out so you can replace the bulb. In the picture, the tab is broken off. I'll post another picture when I swap out the bulbs later in the week.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats where youre supposed to use the vinyl trim puller

Never use a screwdriver, they break things

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats where youre supposed to use the vinyl trim puller

Never use a screwdriver, they break things
No, the service tech showed me how to do it using a screw driver like the do in the shop. You only put enough pressure on it to release the clip then you can use your nylon pry bar if you need to.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, the service tech showed me how to do it using a screw driver like the do in the shop. You only put enough pressure on it to release the clip then you can use your nylon pry bar if you need to.

Well...your tech showed you yet your brand spanking new clip got broke

Nobody showed me, yet my old '09 clip is still intact and has bright white LED lights now

YMMV, but....

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...your tech showed you yet your brand spanking new clip got broke

Nobody showed me, yet my old '09 clip is still intact and has bright white LED lights now

YMMV, but....
Whatever. I've been working on cars since long before you were born. It's time to lose the superior attitude Adieu. The clip was defective from the factory. It if you put a couple of ounces of pressure on something, it does matter what you use to push against it. If the plastic is pliable it will bend if it is hard it will break. Once it stops raining, I'll install my LED bulbs.