02 5.4 just blew a plug can I put it back in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relentless85

Reaction score
My wife called me, the expedition blew a plug out on driver side. Currently it's in a parking lot across town. Can I take the coil pack off and screw the plug back in? Or am I gonna have to tow this thing?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the injector harness for that cylinder and drive home or to a shop. It will sound like hell but will save a tow bill. Only course of action is to install an insert. Google time sert.

Last edited:

AWD EXPY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to do this late last year. Got a kit. It was simple enough being it was in the front of the motor. I had to JB weld the coil pack mounting flange. When the plug blew, it broke it.

OP
OP
R

relentless85

Reaction score
Yeah this is really an easy fix. Mine blew a plug 2 years ago. Just went to my local auto parts house and bought this Heli-Coil 5334-14 - Spark Plug Repair Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Good luck

Is your heli-coil kit still working ok? I have been told to stay away from the heli-coli kit and go with timesert kit. However the timesert kit is $400+.

Today I pulled the number 7 cyl coil pack. It ate up the boot and the spring and bent the electrode on the plug. What a pain to get to.....all that fuel crap in the way!