05 5.4 P0022 and P0345..Cam Phasers..Where to go from here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoedog

Reaction score
So I have an 05 Expedition that is throwing a P0022 and P0345. I get these point to the cam phasers, so before I throw $450 on a phaser kit and oil pump, I want to make sure its a good fix. I took out the drivers side VCT solenoid and it wasn't gunked up, but i took it apart anyways and cleaned it up and tested it out with my bench power supply and it is actuating as it should.

I have done a lot of research on this forum and other where people have replaced their phasers and it doesn't end up fixing the issue. So I just was looking to get some tips before I endup shot gunning parts.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do phasers, and if those VCT solenoids are the original ones, get new ones. They have gone through a few revisions, and the latest version reduced the famous 3v phaser knock and all. My original ones looked fine, not gunked up or anything, but I noticed improvements on the mileage and it seems like the engine is more responsive with the new ones, making me believe the older ones perhaps was worn internally and didn't seal well enough when closed.

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Skauber,
Did you have loud phasers before changing the VCT's?
I'm thinking of changing mine out. I'm not throwing codes, but the phasers are loud.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I was planning to replace my phasers. It had a pronounced knock, almost as loud as a modern 4 cylinder diesel. I replaced the VCT solenoids as a "last resort" before diving in to the phasers, but the noise went almost completely away after replacing them. If I listen carefully for it, I can still hear the knock but it's very faint and I suspect that even brand new phasers have a small amount of knock in them so I won't be replacing mine just yet. I am also running 5W-30 oil in it due to the hot climate here to help it along a little. 5W-20 is very thin around here.

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. Did you go for genuine Ford parts or go aftermarket?
I have tried 5W-30 as well. It didnt seem to help much. But swithing to Valvoline's High Mileage 5W-20 did help overall. The whole engine seems to run quieter and smoother.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the latest revision of genuine Ford solenoids. For something like this, I'd never use an aftermarket part.

The 5W-30 didn't do much for the knocking, but the engine overall is a little smoother and quieter. I don't think this applies to everyone though, but here in a hot climate where the temp is always 35'C (95'F) and above in the day, and never below 22'C (72'F) in the night, I don't need the oil to be that thin.

I've heard some rumours that Ford sticks with the 5W-20 in US markets only due to having to meet certain emission standards, while they recommend 5W-30 in European and Asian markets where they don't have to meet the same standards, and will actually void the warranty if using 5W-20. At least my local Ford dealer in the Philippines recommends 5W-30 and advices against using 5W-20..

OP
OP
S

smoedog

Reaction score
Well I just pulled both cam sensors. no external damage. the drivers side was reading 360ohms and the passenger side was reading 350ohms. I swapped sides and also did an oil change. I used 10w40 this time to see if im having oil pressure issues. went for another 15-20 miles drive and no codes and no misses and seem to have power back.

I think I am going to leave it alone for now and the next oil change I am going to go back to 5w20 and hook up an oil pressure gauge and see where I am at.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got mine on ebay for about 130 bucks shipped internationally, including the seals, so it's not too expensive.

2005 2014 Ford Lincoln 5 4L 2 Variable Camshaft Timing Solenoids Seals | eBay

You'll need a T27 torx to get it out, and I strongly recommend getting a 1-piece tool. I know some tape their bit on and what not, but it would really ruin your day if you dropped that bit inside the engine.

smasmasemsem78

Reaction score
I got the same problem with me when these pieces changed improvement enginea874813ab689a76280472db938f2916a.jpg

أرسلت بواسطة iPhone بإستخدام Tapatalk