15-17 LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want to you can cut two holes in the back of the big rubber plug one for the 1" rubber plug supplied with the HID system and the other to fish the connector inside the housing. Once you have everything in place you can silicone the hole closed with black RTV sealer. I chose to go through the back of the housing using the rectangular cutout that's covered with a rubber tape.

Do you have a picture of the finished HID headlights?

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
I posted a picture here:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-hid-headlamp-update.32801/page-4#post-285009

Same system as Andy has, but I changed the wire route a little to exit from the rubber dust cap.

The HID retrofit is a real nice upgrade. Just drove thru country roads for the first time last night and the difference was dramatic. The projectors make for a good system because the cutoff line is so distinct it’s bright where we want it and yet not blinding other folks.

The only small problem now is that when I engage the high beams the color temp is so different.... First world issues I know....

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I posted a picture here:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2017-hid-headlamp-update.32801/page-4#post-285009

Same system as Andy has, but I changed the wire route a little to exit from the rubber dust cap.

The HID retrofit is a real nice upgrade. Just drove thru country roads for the first time last night and the difference was dramatic. The projectors make for a good system because the cutoff line is so distinct it’s bright where we want it and yet not blinding other folks.

The only small problem now is that when I engage the high beams the color temp is so different.... First world issues I know....
If your using hid in projectors the color temp of the bulb doesn't change. In fact when you switch to high beam nothing even happens to the bulb. The shield of the projector flips down and allows all the light within the projector bowl to be shined forward instead of being blocked by the shield. So that being said the color shouldn't be changing

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s a great upgrade it’s just that I’m not convinced about opening up the headlights and resealing them. I’m guessing that’s necessary to install the hid lense and the shield around the lense inside of the housing.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your using hid in projectors the color temp of the bulb doesn't change. In fact when you switch to high beam nothing even happens to the bulb. The shield of the projector flips down and allows all the light within the projector bowl to be shined forward instead of being blocked by the shield. So that being said the color shouldn't be changing
His are like mine, separate bulbs for High and Low beams, not Bi-xenon. He has an incandescent bulb for the high beam.

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has any one tried the 4 high mod on 15-17 expedition? Just curious. That’s also another option for better lighting. I wonder if that could be done with Forscan programming.
Imagine having fogs, low beam and high beam all on at the same time.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has any one tried the 4 high mod on 15-17 expedition? Just curious. That’s also another option for better lighting. I wonder if that could be done with Forscan programming.
Imagine having fogs, low beam and high beam all on at the same time.

Imagine having everyone heading the opposite direction flashing you and flipping you off