15-17 LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fog lights generally actually hurt your vision if your running them on a clear night, they light up the side of the road but hurt your overall far seeing vision. I only run mine when it’s not clear out.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I just looked and confirmed both the lows and highs are on when the high beams are selected in my '17. Separate bulbs this year. Don't think they were on my former '07.

With the fogs in Bambi Mode there's a mass of lights of the front of the truck sometimes.

BTW my fogs are DRLs and switch off when the headlights come on unless selected to remain on via the headlight switch.

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Imagine having everyone heading the opposite direction flashing you and flipping you off

Ok If you are smart enough you switch back to low beams when some one is coming the opposite direction. The way it works that when you switch to high beam, you get high beams and low beams stay on instead of cutting off.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Has any one tried the 4 high mod on 15-17 expedition? Just curious. That’s also another option for better lighting. I wonder if that could be done with Forscan programming.
Imagine having fogs, low beam and high beam all on at the same time.

I did this a while ago and love it. On dark roads it’s a huge difference to run every lamp on the front. Of course, I always switch off the high beams when others are approaching, but otherwise it’s a no brainer. Way more visibility and safety. Yet another reason to be thankful for FORScan.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok If you are smart enough you switch back to low beams when some one is coming the opposite direction. The way it works that when you switch to high beam, you get high beams and low beams stay on instead of cutting off.

I understand that but I think the goal of the thread is better lighting for the low beam. Anybody can hit the high beam when needed, that's what theyre there for.

On my 17 the highs and lows stay on

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Forscan wasn't needed by me to get both beams on high. Is there a setting to stop this? Not that I can ever see wanting to.

Flash the high beams you say? Decades ago in the "quad round 5" sealed beam era" I ran 5" 13v aircraft landing lights as the high beams. Bought on special order at the local airport. (Most aircraft were running 24v systems by then.) Required cutting part of the mounts to make them fit securely and with a filament parallel to the lens in the bulb the pattern reflected that: vertical filament was long and narrow, horizontal wide angle. No prisms in the lens. Rarely had to ask guys to dim their high beams twice! :)

Only problem was their amperage would trip the headlight circuit breaker very quickly to they had to be either relay wired or just bend the 3d contact on the low beam bulb so they didn't run the same time as the highs. So glad we didn't have fuses.

Legal? We didn't know and didn't check. They were "sealed beams" and that seemed to be what was required.

Modern halogens just seem wimpy. :)

-- Chuck

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did this a while ago and love it. On dark roads it’s a huge difference to run every lamp on the front. Of course, I always switch off the high beams when others are approaching, but otherwise it’s a no brainer. Way more visibility and safety. Yet another reason to be thankful for FORScan.
So with forscan you were able to program all 3 lights to stay on when switching to high beam?
I just checked mine and both beams come on but fogs turn off when switching to high. For some reason I thought low beams would turn off.

I also wonder if you could fit the high beam bulb on the low beam bulb hole, has anyone done that?

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Forscan wasn't needed by me to get both beams on high. Is there a setting to stop this? Not that I can ever see wanting to.

So with forscan you were able to program all 3 lights to stay on when switching to high beam?
I just checked mine and both beams come on but fogs turn off when switching to high. For some reason I thought low beams would turn off.

Guys, my apologies. I am wrong. When I enabled 'bambi' mode in FORScan, I thought I was enabling both the high beam and fogs to stay on along with the normal headlamps. It turns out that the normal headlamps on these trucks stay on anyway when high beams are switched on. I did not realize that.

My prior vehicles have been GM (Tahoes & Suburbans) and on those, the low beams are switched off when the high beams are switched on. I always hated that, but it was what it was and, sadly, I thought (assumed) the Expy was the same without ever checking...

nick

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, my apologies. I am wrong. When I enabled 'bambi' mode in FORScan, I thought I was enabling both the high beam and fogs to stay on along with the normal headlamps. It turns out that the normal headlamps on these trucks stay on anyway when high beams are switched on. I did not realize that.

My prior vehicles have been GM (Tahoes & Suburbans) and on those, the low beams are switched off when the high beams are switched on. I always hated that, but it was what it was and, sadly, I thought (assumed) the Expy was the same without ever checking...

nick
Same thing happen to me. My other vehicles are GMs.

So I’m curious now what is “Bambi” mode?