'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, why is the Nissan not a choice? I suppose if you're towing a heavy trailer on a regular basis, but I don't see why the Nissan would not be a choice. To compare, the 2018 Expedition has 375 HP and 480lbft torque. The Nissan Armada has 390HP and 394 lb-ft of torque. (Side note, I don't know much about the Toyota, but the exterior looks a bit dated to me)

We test drove a 2018 Armada Platinum this week and a 2018 Expedition Limited (no Platinum to be seen on the lot!). Honestly, I think our 2014 Expedition still meets ours needs, so I'm not really enthusiastic about buying either of them. I'm honestly indifferent at this point, but it's my wife's daily driver, so you know how that goes...

My wife thought they were both equally nice, but preferred the exterior look of the Armada. It's also significantly less, with virtually all of the same options. I hadn't thought too much about the towing aspect because I only occasionally pull a utility trailer to get things like mulch at Lowes. The 3rd row of the Expedition is bigger / roomier . Both seem to have fairly limited room behind the 3rd row (as does our current Expedition). We're not interested in the Max though, tooooooo big, but they are cool.

Last comment- both have a 36k mile warranty, that seems really short. Right off the bat you're looking at the cost of an extended warranty.

Thoughts?

Nissan Armada is based on the patrol (legendary vehicle) it’s a great platform. Only problem for me is...... it’s not a American brand, couldn’t buy one for that reason alone in my case. My 07 still fits me perfectly and I just fix things when they come along, I don’t mind working on my vehicles so tooling around on it is kind of fun for me, but it’s been and still is a great truck. The 5.6 Nissan is a great motor, my observation with Nissan is good powertrain, not the best body and electrical components.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nissan Armada is based on the patrol (legendary vehicle) it’s a great platform. Only problem for me is...... it’s not a American brand, couldn’t buy one for that reason alone in my case. I just fix my 07 as things come along and it suits me perfectly.

That's definitely something to think about. The sales guy said he "thinks" it's made in America. There is a big Nissan plant in TN, but I don't know what they make there.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's definitely something to think about. The sales guy said he "thinks" it's made in America. There is a big Nissan plant in TN, but I don't know what they make there.

Even when made here like the Tundra I still think about where the profits go... yea I’m a built in America nut. I like that when I purchase OEM parts for my Fords, they are usually made in USA, that makes me take pride in owning it. I’d rather support ford by buying their vehicles and parts that are made here than the imports. To each their own, again the patrol platform is great, and looks great, and has a great motor under the hood.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From 2003 to 2015 the Armada was assembled in Canton, Mississippi. From mid-2016 onwards, the Armada is currently built in Yukuhashi, Kyushu, Japan and share the same platform as the Patrol, with American-specific modifications, and went on sale in late Summer 2016 as a 2017 model

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From 2003 to 2015 the Armada was assembled in Canton, Mississippi. From mid-2016 onwards, the Armada is currently built in Yukuhashi, Kyushu, Japan and share the same platform as the Patrol, with American-specific modifications, and went on sale in late Summer 2016 as a 2017 model

You’re correct. That’s a turn off.

Don Leslie

Reaction score
Do the GM products in the Denali class have an independent suspension yet? The Expy out handles the GM products hands down according to the reviewers.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the GM products in the Denali class have an independent suspension yet? The Expy out handles the GM products hands down according to the reviewers.

Nope. Which makes the third row unusable for anyone but petite lady friends and kids.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If we'd have been willing to go for a shorter wheelbase, I'd have bought the Nissan (provided I could convince myself to do without CarPlay).

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If we'd have been willing to go for a shorter wheelbase, I'd have bought the Nissan (provided I could convince myself to do without CarPlay).
Just got access to car play for the first time but haven’t had a chance to really mess with it. What do you like about it over the sync 3? I am an iPhone user btw but prefer the google map over Apple map. I’d really like to hear your thoughts on this since you use it. I should add I also used Waze as well but as I understand it there isn’t any car play option for that at the moment.