'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did u test a range rover and gls450? Did you also test a lx570? Apparently, the gls450 is miles ahead of the expy amd navi according to caranddriver.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there is something wrong turbocharged engines do not lose any power at high altitudes. Sorry but you are misinformed.This from a retired automotive engineer

The tests show what they show, the 6.2 is slightly better on fuel hauling at altitude all while getting about the same timing on the runs. Big V8 is reliable, cheap to repair, and simplistic low stress design, I don’t live at high altitude but the 6.2 performs just fine at altitude although it feels the lack of air more. To each their own and both are viable options I like the V8.

Last edited:

Dormammu

Reaction score
Did u test a range rover and gls450? Did you also test a lx570? Apparently, the gls450 is miles ahead of the expy amd navi according to caranddriver.

Is that for me?

The range rover dealer is 100 miles away and I don't like driving that far for service. Same with the QX80, so that's a def negative for that rig also. We had a 2011 QX56 (QX80 was renamed from the QX56 but it was the same car) and for a warranty repair I had to drive it 200 miles round trip for them to confirm the repair, then back again to actually do it. Ugh. Ain't nobody got time for that!

I had a GL550 2006? 2007? It fell apart as soon as I bought it so it's put a bad taste in my mouth for Mercedes. Sunroof leaked, folding mirrors didn't work, but the final decision to dump it was it kept completely stalling DEAD. Once out in the boonies loaded with Christmas gifts headed to the in laws.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brother in law has a GLS450. They are very nice and I considered one. But go online and build one that’s comparable to the Expi Platinum and you are going to quickly find yourself in $90k range. If you want the GLS550 to get 400+ horsepower, you’re going to bust $100k without trying.

In my opinion it is unfair of them to compare the Merc to the Expi, given the price difference; the Navi is a better direct comparison and I haven’t been in a new Navi to be able to compare them.

In any case, his 450 been a maintenance nightmare and the thing seems to live on a healthy diet of gas, oil, and brake pads. But it is a nice place to sit.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother in law has a GLS450. They are very nice and I considered one. But go online and build one that’s comparable to the Expi Platinum and you are going to quickly find yourself in $90k range. If you want the GLS550 to get 400+ horsepower, you’re going to bust $100k without trying.

In my opinion it is unfair of them to compare the Merc to the Expi, given the price difference; the Navi is a better direct comparison and I haven’t been in a new Navi to be able to compare them.

In any case, his 450 been a maintenance nightmare and the thing seems to live on a healthy diet of gas, oil, and brake pads. But it is a nice place to sit.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Our previous car was a GL450, tons of maintenance and repair. It drove really well...when it wasn't in the shop.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...re-mercedes-benz-gls450-best-large-suv-page-8

Thats the link to the pg where the gls450 won best large suv. There's a lot i dnt agree with, but ive never driven a gls so i can't rele oppose it either. But theres no way the gls has as much space as an expy or feel as roomy. As far as ride and handling, the expy handles very well. Ride is very subjective, and car and driver has a tendency to rate firm sporty riding cars a bit higher than soft riding cars( i remember tham rating the xc90 a 10 in ride bit q7 an 8 in a comp test, but every comp btw them has the q7 a better rider, and theres a lot of comp btw em). They also disnt test the sequoia or armada. And they justified the test by saying the gls starts under the price criteria, most lux suvs start under their price criteria.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Side by side, they rele do not look as similar as ppl make it out to believe.