1999 Ford Expedition No Start No Crank - Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Try swapping the underhood PCM relay. for one of the other ones.

OP
OP
Z

Zebani S

Reaction score
What about the GEM? My 97 has now been sitting for about a year with the same problem. Also mine has a history of failed GEM x 2.

Forgive me but what's the GEM got to do with the ignition and signal to the starter solenoid? Also I didn't see any sign of water damage around it and all the power options are behaving appropriately.

Why let that poor 97 sit? If you can't figure out what's shorted and you're not having other issues just do what I'm doing, wire a push start button in the cab and wire it to the signal post on the under the hood solenoid.

Have you been having GEM issues cuz of a leaking windshield?

Francis Douglas

Reaction score
I am a little late and also didn't read every reply so this may have been said but I had a similar problem and it was NSS, however, it did not start in neutral unless it rolling for some reason. After replacing the NSS the problem came back and since my shifter is out of alignment like yours it did not start in neutral whether it was rolling or not and I knew the NSS wasn't bad anyway. I found that if I pulled the shifter up while starting it, it would crank but may take a few tries.

OP
OP
Z

Zebani S

Reaction score
I am a little late and also didn't read every reply so this may have been said but I had a similar problem and it was NSS, however, it did not start in neutral unless it rolling for some reason. After replacing the NSS the problem came back and since my shifter is out of alignment like yours it did not start in neutral whether it was rolling or not and I knew the NSS wasn't bad anyway. I found that if I pulled the shifter up while starting it, it would crank but may take a few tries.

Thank you for sharing that! I doubt it's the NSS in my case. The signal wire to the solenoid under the hood was putting out a constant 3+ volts! It should be 0 unless you turn the ignition to run in which case it should be 12v. So clearly I'm dealing with a short of some kind coming from the ignition wiring. Instead of tearing all that up and hunting around for the short tho I just severed that connection and ran fresh wire from the solenoid to a momentary switch on my dash. Bingo. Starts every time and now I'm like the modern cars with push button start lol.