2003 F-150 Wheels on an early 2000 (mfd. 10/99) Expedition EB - Part 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, got the wheels, and got them installed.

Here's the Expedition, stock as I bought it:

wheels_before.jpg

Here it is with the new wheels:

wheels_after.jpg

Overall, I'm quite happy with them, however, I ran into a bit of an issue with the lug nuts.

The stock rims use a "compression" style lug nut - 12-1.75 with a compression washer/flange on them.

The new rims are from a post-2000 F-150 with the 14mm studs/lugs, and likely are intended for a conical seat style, I dunno.

Anyhow, they ended up having to re-use the stock lug nuts, which are ugly and seat really low in the holes, because they couldn't use anything else, as these are a funky pattern lug nut or something.

wheels_lug_holes.jpg

I'm going to have to order some 1999/2000 "SVT" or Lightning lug nuts which are about half an inch taller, chromed and will hopefully look a little better.

Wheels were $469 (that includes shipping) to my door from an eBay vendor. They came with black center caps (oddly, as they were very adamantly sold WITHOUT center caps), but I bought the proper charcoal-grey Ford logo caps from my dealer at about $17/each. They look far better (to me) than the plain black caps that came with the wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The chrome ones I took off?

I've never been a huge fan of chrome, myself. I just need to figure out how to eliminate the giant chrome stripe on the front bumper, and take care of the rear, and then I'm set.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is EXACTLY what I want to do, I can't stand the EB wheels, look flimsy and out of place to me for some reason. Also, the ones you chose are one of my top replacement choices! They're 17's as well, right?

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, they're 17x7.5.

Exact same bolt pattern and backspacing as the stock rims.

Looks like the lug nuts I want are readily available around the Internet - they're a Dorman part. Rock Auto and Summit Racing have them.

I'm going to order them on Monday and swap them out when they arrive. At that time, I'll post another close-up of the rim with the current lug nuts and the new.