2004 Expedition no 3rd or OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now the plot thickens! How good are you at transmissions?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tsamrein

Reaction score
I have rebuilt a few. Albeit mostly chevy's, but automatics are mostly the same.

I feel like this is another issue. I know these transmissions are notorious for the direct drive clutch breaking but again not convinced that is it either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tsamrein

Reaction score
Bit of an update. I still don't have any codes. I did check voltage at the OSS and I am only getting. .2 volts at the sensor and at the computer connector.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
T

tsamrein

Reaction score
Justin figured out someone put a 2003 transmission in my 2004. Is there any way to make them work together?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might have to change computer and reflash. Wow, 1 year and doesn't work. Did you just buy vehicle?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tsamrein

Reaction score
Yes. Just bought it and I knew of the problems but never would have thought I would have to make a decision whether or not to pull a rebuilt trans because of a 1 year difference

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The transmission rebuild kits are different so there are internal differences. Anything is possible but it would be an uphill battle.
Might be easier to swap in a cluster and pcm from a 2003 depending on any engine differences.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tsamrein

Reaction score
Good enough. Guess it is finally time to buy that transmission Jacko always talk about. Lol.

OP
OP
T

tsamrein

Reaction score
Stamp. That was what I was wondering. Why the cluster? Just curious.the pats is stored in the pcm in 2003 also I believe.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cluster and pcm are married together electronically.
This is Ford now, won't be plug and play. You would need to compare wiring pinouts to the pcm and cluster for the two years. I would also expect to move a few wires around.
Also look at the sjb wiring for any circuits tied to them.