2005 expedition vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 05 expedition with a vibration. I have balanced all 4 tires, checked all the ujoints,checked all the axle shafts, and found nothing. I did notice whale on the lift it seems the front hubs are not disconnecting? Whale on the lift I can turn either front wheel and the front shaft turns with it in 2wd I believe the hubs are not disconnecting? Are they vacuum? It appears to be a vacuum hose in the top back of the hub? If so is there a vacuum pump? Or is it pulling vacuum off the motor and is there a fuse or relay to make it work
Sorry for the long post thanks in advanced

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hubs work off engine vacuum and a solenoid. The hub could need greased, or the solenoid could be stuck.

Tire have a slipped belt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
The tires are new and I just had them unbalanced
Any idea ware that solinoid is located?
With the expy on a lift it appears the hubs are engaged I belive that is my problem.
I also forgot to mention the vibration starts at 50mph and disappears at 60 but at 60 you can still hear it with a slight vibration

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try watching these, see if it helps find your answer. My expy is a 2wd, but my f150 is 4x4. Essentially the same.

Fordtechmakuloco is awesome.

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try watching these, see if it helps find your answer. My expy is a 2wd, but my f150 is 4x4. Essentially the same.

Fordtechmakuloco is awesome.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hubs engage when vacuum is removed right? So you should check for free spinning hubs with the motor running and 2WD selected. With the wheel off the ground see if the hub free spins. It's set up that way, so if you put it in 4WD and Park then shut off the motor you still maintain hub lock to help keep all 4 wheels "parked". On my old Bronco it was like that. I installed some Warn front hubs, so I could guarantee unlock, and use the LOW feature of the transfer case on dry pavement without damaging the drivetrain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks so I tested them without the expy running so no vaccum so the hubs were blocked I will check with the truck running and get back to you

Great vidio

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They should be fairly free spinning. Does it feel like brake pads dragging ? Just to test it you might have to take a big scewdriver or something and pry the caliper free so you know the pads are not the cause. There should be a pad retraction spring on each caliper that helps to push the pads back away from the rotor. If you're not the original owner maybe a previous owner or shop left them off after a pad replacement, not knowing how important they were.

You should see this spring on each caliper, just squeezed in over the top of the caliper so that it pushes the pads off the rotor.

image-jpg.11906

Should see it in the caliper like this ....

install1.jpg

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And while you are looking at calipers you might as well pull them and look at the pad wear. If the pad is wearing at a angle you need to replace the caliper.