2007 Ford Expedition Engine popping loud, please help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
I have 182k miles on the vehicle. The engine is still very strong, idles perfectly and is quiet, exception when pulling grade.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chris, get the codes read, and posted. The fact that you have strong power, and smooth idle rules out catalytic converters, coils, plugs, fuel delivery. After running codes, report your findings so we here can narrow down your problem.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's tough to know to be honest. When my COP on cyliner #8 shorted due to water my truck had a misfire in Overdrive as well, if I took it out of overdrive it stopped. When we pulled the plug at the shop it was completely shot from not firing correctly and all my plugs were relatively new... it's hard to know because just because we replaced parts a year ago doesn't mean anything these days. All you can do is get the codes and get a diagnosis..... it's not the old days where it was easy to diagnose our vehicles.

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
I hear ya. These newer ones are a bear to diagnose. I will get the codes read here in a couple hours and post them back here.

Thanks,

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
So I ran codes, here is what it came up with as the only code. P0430 Generic. Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) - Wouldn't that be an oxygen sensor on the passenger side? Not sure if that would have anything to do with my problem.

Thoughts?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ran codes, here is what it came up with as the only code. P0430 Generic. Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) - Wouldn't that be an oxygen sensor on the passenger side? Not sure if that would have anything to do with my problem.

Thoughts?

Well the oxygen sensors tell your vehicle how to burn the mixture at all times and in all sorts of situations from what they receive from upstream so if they aren't functioning right they can cause all sorts of problems. I googled your symptoms and some had a catylitic converter going bad. Obviously I'd try the 02 first...

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
I appreciate the help here. Would not have thought the O2 or Converter would cause such spark knock or detonation. Maybe replacing the O2 sensor will correct it.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Is it possible it's going lean when the power is needed? That will absolutely cause a pop.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Just a head up bank 2 is the driver side not the passenger

OP
OP
C

chris2888

Reaction score
Thank you both. I will replace the 02 sensor on the Driver side to see if that will fix the issue.

If anyone can think of anything else here is the plan over the next couple days.

Carbon removal
02 replacement on Drivers Side
Cleaned the MAF- do u guys suggest to go ahead and get a new one?

Thanks