2008 AC Charge Clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvlunn

Reaction score
I need to evacuate and fill my 2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer WITH auxiliary air. The sticker on the underside of the hood with charge information is shown below.

The way I read the sticker, is that a charge of 1.37 lbs is required if the vehicle does NOT have auxiliary air OR 2.06 lbs is required if the vehicle has BOTH front and rear air.

After reading a few post from other forums, it appears almost everyone is indicating the vehicle requires 3.43 lbs if the Expy has BOTH front and rear air.

Does anyone on this forum know for SURE the required refrigerant charge for the 2008 Expy with front and rear air?

I also borrowed a 2008 Ford Expedition Service Manual and I have included the appropriate charge page information as well. Unless I'm missing something, the correct charge for my vehicle is 2.06 lbs OR 33 ounces. I'm just confused as to why there were so many post out there indicating it is 54 ounces. Do they know something I don't know OR am I not reading the information correctly??????

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 12

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both spec's that you posted show the correct charge to be 2.06# with aux. air. Did you have to remove the charge for repairs, if you recovered the charge, it should show the weight. The R-134a systems operate with a very small charge of refrigerant. If you replaced a part you should add some oil back in for that part. There's is an old post on here from July 2017 with individual components and there oil charge.

OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
Thanks Motorcity Muscle!

I was simply confused when a couple of other post I found by Googling stated you needed to ADD the two weights to get the correct refrigerant charge. It appears I did interpret the information correctly from the beginning and the correct charge is 2.06 lbs as you have verified. Thanks for making me feel better that I did read and interpret the info correctly!!!!!!! Have a good day!

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have an AC pressure gauge set? Always best to undercharge and watch the high and low pressures while operating the system than adding too much. If too much Freon is added, the compressor will shut if too early due to excessive high side pressure and the AC will not blow as cold as it should.

OP
OP
T

tvlunn

Reaction score
I do have a refrigerant charging manifold set, as well as a scale for weighing in the refrigerant. My issue was I became confused as to how much refrigerant to use when I saw that a couple of other individuals were "adding" the front and rear values listed to obtain the total amount. I honestly didn't feel this was correct, thus the reason for posting here ........ and I'm certainly glad I did!