2010 EL Running Board Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I was able to get a 4" angle grinder to go between the step bracket and the frame bracket and cut the shaft coming out of the motor unit without damaging anything else. as soon as the shaft was cut the motor unit fell to the floor and then the remaining part of the shaft (inside the area where the wedge is located) just came out really easily. I have no idea what was preventing it from coming out before, but it would not budge!! The angle grinder trick took 2 minutes to cut the shaft and then the new unit fitted no trouble. Would love if someone could tell us what FORD does to prevent the motor unit sliding out as it makes this simple job, bloody awkward!!

Gary

boomhowie

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing going on. I had to use the 3 jaw puller. That was the only way. I tired everything else, for weeks. It did crack the hinge, but it came out. Any advice on where to find a motor for the EL that does not cost a fortune???

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I was able to get a 4" angle grinder to go between the step bracket and the frame bracket and cut the shaft coming out of the motor unit without damaging anything else. as soon as the shaft was cut the motor unit fell to the floor and then the remaining part of the shaft (inside the area where the wedge is located) just came out really easily. I have no idea what was preventing it from coming out before, but it would not budge!! The angle grinder trick took 2 minutes to cut the shaft and then the new unit fitted no trouble. Would love if someone could tell us what FORD does to prevent the motor unit sliding out as it makes this simple job, bloody awkward!!

Gary

I'll bet Ford builds it that way so they can sell you the whole running board instead of just the motor. Sucks.